How many miles can you get out of a Hyundai Elantra

My experience has been the opposite. My Hyundai has been very low
maintenance. In the six years I have owned it, everything is still
functioning except the cruise control. It stills starts and runs very
well. It appears that most of the other respondents have had similar
experiences.

My only intent was to say to the person in the original post that he should
expect much more from his Hyundai and his mechanic was wrong about Hyundais.

You havenā€™t needed any automatic transmission maintenance because you have a manual transmission.

2 Likes

I think it is like every other manufacturer, it is hit and miss. Our 2013 Sonata had the Theta II engine which has been prone to seizing and subject to massive recall (1.4 Million cars with the same engine). My Camry had the 4 cylinder engine that was prone to loosening head bolts and coolant leak.

That 10 year warranty is not worth the paper its written on, its a marketing tool to get you inside the dealership. If the maintenance records are not kept up to date,youā€™ll be on your own.

1 Like

I have been so very fortunate with my 2007 Hyundai Elantra. I bought it about 5 years ago with 147,000 miles on it. It belonged to an elderly couple. I have not had to do any major fixes to my car, other than brakes, tires and battery. My car runs great and has 205,000 miles on it. It doesnā€™t leak any fluids. I am horrible about getting the oil changed regularly. I live in Arizona where the climate is very hot. Yet the air conditioner blows cold air. I absolutely love my car and have never had a better one.

Do you work for Hyundai? you just responded to 4 month old post believe it or not.

This thread actually started in 2012.

1 Like

Does it really matter when a thread started if the comments are true today?

3 Likes

It can just get confusing to whom a poster is responding to, the original OP or the person who reopened the ancient thread. This is why we recommend people start their own thread with their own question (I know thatā€™s not completely applicable given Susan Murrellā€™s response wasnā€™t with a new question, but the same principal applies)

1 Like

I have a 2013 Hyundai Elantra with 254xxx miles on it. My dad had it before me for work, mostly highway miles. I have had it for about a year and half and it still drives like a dream. I probably havenā€™t maintained it as well as my dad did but it still works better than any other car I have had so far!! I love it.

My 2006 Hyunday Elantra has over 150K miles on it (almost all city-miles) and everytime I take it in for maintenance work Iā€™m told the transmission and motor are strong and show no signs of giving in anytime soon. I canā€™t say Iā€™m obsessive with maintenance care, and I am told I have a ā€œlead footā€, and still this little car keeps going. I donā€™t think the 70K transmission lifespan is accurate from either my own experience nor from what I hear from my friends and coworkers about their Elantras.

Q: How many miles can you get out of a Hyundai Elantra
A: All of them

What constitutes all will vary significantly from person to person and location to location.
Total miles is almost a useless measure for longevity. Consider the difference between someone living in NYC versus rural North Dakota for example. Or a 18 year old versus an 80 year oldā€¦

2 Likes

Your 150,000 miles is a low figure these days. Our family has gotten 320,000 miles out of a Chevy Impala, for instance. At that mileage the car still did not use oil and the transmission worked fine. The body, however started to rust and we sold it for $750.

Posters on this site have gotten upward of 450,000 miles form their wheels, although with some repairs.

With good care you are about at the half life mark, but in NYC rust will kill the vehicle before you need an engine overhaul.

I had a Hyundai Elantra and sold it with over 350,000 on it and it still ran.

350K on an Elantra? Good for you @Linda_Shick . Thatā€™s a lot of mile for sure. Did it have the original engine when you sold it? What about its body condition? Did it display any annoying, difficult to diagnose problems along the way? The folks here who seem to get frustrated by their car repair problems donā€™t complain so much about needing to replace the clutch for example, but when their shop canā€™t figure out whatā€™s wrong in the first place, and replacing the clutch on a guess doesnā€™t fix the problem, thatā€™s when they complain.

I got hooked in to this old post. It showed up in mu ā€œnewā€ category. I didnā€™t notice it was old until I saw irlandes comment. I miss his posts about Mexican village life.

I also have a 2013 Elantra w/ 85K on it. Always maintained it as specified w/ synthetic oil since 10K. Very confident it will last as nothing yet has come up unscheduled. Itā€™s very reliable. My Dad had his own car business for many years and had always said that city miles take twice the wear and tear as the same amount of road miles. So you are blessed. I have friends w/ a 2001 Camry w/ 240K miles and it runs smooth w/ lots of power which tells me it can go a LOT longer. Same w/ your car at 254K if itā€™s running smooth w/ a lot of power.

My 2012 Elantra was purchased new in 2011 and has 70K miles on it. Itā€™s in great shape, Iā€™ve kept up with routine maintenance, but my husband is concerned not so much with the miles as the parts. He says parts are only good for so long, no matter how you treat the car. He wants me to get a new vehicle before those parts start to break down. He says Iā€™m on ā€œthin ice.ā€ He also knows a new one will be under warranty and deals are now. He says the trade in goes down every day. I know that but if I can get another two years out of it (which I totally see as PROBABLE) then I would have gotten my ā€œtrade inā€ worth out of it.

Anyway, (instead of ā€œSoā€ lol!) if I have the money today for a new vehicle, I will have it when it dies. I havenā€™t seen a terrible increase in price in ten years. I go about 8K miles a year. I run it 15 miles a day for work (7 each way), all errands are within 10 miles from home, and I travel about 30 miles for family and an hour and a half for the airport once a year (except 2020, of course!). Flat land, no hills or mountains to strain it, and you get the picture. Like my dog, itā€™s spoiled! Well, except the car stays outside, the dog does not. Thank you for any thoughts.

My question is do you foresee any part will wear out for me to consider a new car before the 4th of January when the sales are over?

Youā€™re fine on parts for at least 10 more years, maybe longer. As long as it remains reliable and you like it, keep it. Age related replacements, like dumber bushings, hoses and belts, will be due based on age pretty soon.

Itā€™s impossible to predict if something will break between now and next month. Itā€™s certainly possible, but assuming you maintain it properly, no more likely than it was 3 years ago. Your husband is partially correct in that some parts do go bad due to age.

Where I think heā€™s misguided is that he wants you to spend $20,000 to avoid having to replace a worn out radiator hose or the like. My wife has a 2012 Veloster, and based on how that car has aged (many more miles than yours, too) I would be very surprised if you ended up with anywhere near $20,000 in repairs before the next big dealership discounts (many of which are deceptive anyway).

If I had to guess a likely part to go bad would be in the exhaust, because you drive mostly very short trips which doesnā€™t give the engine the chance to heat up enough to get the water out of the exhaust. And exhaust pipes can be sized to fit by the muffler shop, so no worries about parts availability there.

1 Like