How long will the starter last after the first dreaded clicking and no crank up?

I had the pleasure of having my truck not start 30 minutes after purchasing, it did start the second try. Then, the next morning I tried cranking her up and after 3-4 trys, I went inside, refilled my coffee and came out and it started. (agian and so on for two more days) So, I finally broke down and purchased a starter and am having to wait a couple days intil the family mechanic can install it for cheap.

**Question: How long does it take for the starter to completely go bad/out? I’m not comfortable playing roulet when I have places to be and not knowing whether it will start or not.

Thanks!

My brother in law told me I could put the truck into neutral and get someone to push it and “magically” the engine will start reguardless of the starter needing replacement

Well, if it is a manual transmission, you can push start it, however I doubt that you know how to do that. As for your question, It may not be rhe starter. It might just be a dirty battery connection.

I do not know how to “push start” no, it is a manual though. I skipped changing the battery because all the interior lights work, just the engine wouldn’t crank first try, and is progressively getting worse. If it happens to be the battery, I will be estatic to get the refund for the expensive starter and use a quarter of it for a battery replacement.

Have you had a charging system test done yet? If not, throwing parts at the problem isn’t the best approach.

Take a look at the battery / cable connections. If the contact surfaces are corroded, they might be exacerbating a weak battery condition. Remove the neg cable, then the positive cable, then use a baking soda in water solution to clean the posts with an old toothbrush, and see if that helps.

When reconnecting, attach the positive cable first, tighten it with a wrench, and then attach the negative cable, IN THAT SEQUENCE. Safety glasses are a very good idea for this task.

"**Question: How long does it take for the starter to completely go bad/out? I'm not comfortable playing roulet when I have places to be and not knowing whether it will start or not. "

Anywhere between 5 minutes and 40 years from now.
It can’t be predicted. No doubt you don’t have the money to fix it right now so do this:

Bring a short piece of 2x4 and a hammer or mallet with you. When it decides to only click for you, put one end of the 2x4 on the starter and hit the other end with a mallet. It will likely start now. If not, repeat as necessary or until the cops show up, wondering why you screaming at the top of your lungs “START, YOU PIECE OF… .”

I think you have a bad, or heavily discharged, battery. It is very common for a battery to power the lights, but not have enough juice to crank the starter. The starter is a very heavy draw of current. Charge the current battery up fully with a charger and see what happens. Don’t put in the new starter until you have fully investigated the condition of the battery, and cleaned all the battery cables at both ends ( + and - at the battery and at the motor and solenoid).

I took my pathfinder to my family mechanic at his shop and he told me the old starter was going bad and that it was filled up with oil? So the starter has been replaced… but my truck still didn’t crank the first try. The battery checked out okay, but he told me that sometimes, I’ll have to keep the key turned and release and re push down the clutch in order to get it started… Only thing is when I cranked her up, there is a loud noise now? Ugh. My heart hurts about it. I just went by autozone, and bought 5w30 oil and checked the oil, it doesn’t seem to be loosing oil or pressure but I put it in the trunk just in case.

Why would it now be making a loud noise on start up? It was almost like a squeal, or higher pitched rev noise. I’m now, after the starter and installation, 200$ out & I was told to bring it back in to see where the oil leak was.

My brother in law told me I could put the truck into neutral and get someone to push it and "magically" the engine will start reguardless of the starter needing replacement

It won’t work if it’s neutral…it MUST be in gear. Best bet is to put it in 2nd or 3rd gear. You put it gear…press on the clutch…then when you get to about 20mph…pop the clutch.

So, how is the new starter doing? Still having a problem starting?

@Meteachey, is that loud noise kind of a screetch when you try to start?

It could be that the new starter doesn’t quite engage the flywheel all the way or that the flywheel has a stripped spot. Since it is stick, next time it happens, do this: put it in gear and move it a half foot. If it has a stripped spot on your flywheel, it will likely have moved to a good spot on your flywheel.
If it now starts without noises, the flywheel is likely the issue.
If it still screetches, the starter is probably not engaging well enough all the time.

The loud noise could be the starter gear is not engaging the flywheel properly. Get this checked out asap and don’t use the starter if at all possible. If the gears are clashing you could be tearing up your new starter or even worse the teeth on the flywheel.

It won’t work if it’s neutral…it MUST be in gear. Best bet is to put it in 2nd or 3rd gear. You put it gear…press on the clutch…then when you get to about 20mph…pop the clutch.
And don’t forget to turn the ignition on!!!

Turns out the replacement starter was bad/faulty… holy ****!!! Had to buy one from the mechanic, call the auto store, confirm my refund, and then contacted corporate to be refunded for the labor fees on the bad starter. Growing up is truly a wild ride.

I was told that when I go to start, if it doesn’t crank up first try to push in the clutch, release it, and re push it because of some saftey mechanism. HOPEFULLY, I’ll never have to try to push start method! :slight_smile: From 730am-500pm… I’ve been dealing with this craziness. I’m just glad to be home with the ole’ gal !

This is one reason why I prefer to have starters and alternators carefully rebuilt and tested locally rather than buy a factory remanufactured product with work done who knows where. I only have to do one R&R. I also prefer to support local businesses when possible.

@WesternRoadtripper When you say buy local products, you mean from your neighborhood local mechanic? Or is there another way to find local parts? I think it’s great you do that!

Not exactly. My specific point is that when I need an alternator or starter, I prefer to have a local auto electric repair shop rebuild what I’ve got rather than buy something off the shelf which was remanufactured far away. They don’t sell parts, just repair them. I imagine there are shops like this in many towns. This one is a two man operation, and I like knowing the price I paid stays local, doesn’t pay for three dozen administrators, eliminates transportation and warehousing, and doesn’t go to marketing. I deal directly with the hardworking owner. Also, I know that what I get back is sure to fit…it’s the same unit I took out myself.

There aren’t many options for buying parts “locally”, every store has the same assortment of suppliers I’d imagine. We have Autozone and OReillys, and then a smaller regional chain which is a Napa affiliate. I tend to buy most things from the latter, and rarely buy parts online.

I prefer the same for other products too, I avoid the major grocery chains. Instead, I prefer a two store local company, and buy office supplies from a mom and pop store which is spitting distance from Staples. I just like the personal feel in the locally owned businesses.

I would bet that the starter never was the problem, but by the time it was changed twice the poor connection was overcome. This is just my gut feeling!! They wouldn’t make any money if they just cleaned the battery connections. BTW what happened to the loud noise you said you were hearing?

It sounds like you have the following:

-The stater that was replaced was probably good, but wouldn’t have lasted long if it was full of oil. Probably your truck has a minor oil leak and it is dribbling onto/into the starter. Or the mechanic could have been giving you a load of BS to justify the replacement.

-The battery is probably good, but I would check and clean the battery cable connections at the terminals.

-You could have a failing “clutch safety switch” that prevents the starter from operating unless the clutch is fully depressed. I would check this first before anything else. You could also have a bad starter relay. Another possibility is a bad ignition switch, but unlikely IMHO.

-I would also have the battery and charging system checked, as others have recommended.