How long will the battery last?

In our city you can’t have a car without plates in your driveways even. The city will tolerate it for a while, then you get a ticket. A car without plates is considered a “derelict” vehicle.

You can store it beside your house even with the front wall or further back.

I don’t see where the Op was arguing our responses or being rude at all.
He said I gave the best answer, and we all know how much of a shot in the dark that is!!!

I think you are way off base and reading way too much into the post that is not there
@meanjoe75fan .

He could have been transferred to a closer place of work temporarily, and plans to put the truck back on the road as soon as the boss transfers him back to the other site.

He could be laid up from surgery and has long term recuperating to do.
He could be scraping by as best he can.

There are all kinds of situations where this person could be scraping by…the best he can. I’d give him a break!!!
Though I too would rather that he at least register the thing.

Yosemite

@db4690:

When OP wasn’t busy dissing long-standing members, OP mentioned that the car wasn’t being driven at present, but would in the future, for reasons (s)he didn’t want to get in to. I made a plausible assumption based on those facts. I certainly could be wrong…

@BillRussell: When somebody asks advice, and hands out negative rep to those who fail to support her pre-conceived notions…that’s not cool. Why ask the question, if you don’t want honest feedback?

I didn’t see any negative statements. Nor did I see the OP disrespecting members.

“On Tuesday afternoon I switch to the other side which had cleaning the day before (Monday) then after 3 pm on Tuesday I can drive it back.”

It sounds to me like the car IS being driven on the public residential street, moving it from side to side for street cleaning compliance. I speculate maybe a mid-block U-turn or pull in a driveway and back out maneuver. Causing a crash without registration and insurance will cause substantial consequences. (Picture child on a bicycle). If you’re going to drive it, even very short distances, then you need registration and insurance. You seem adamant about keeping this car, and that is fine, but car ownership has responsibilities.

The OP’s method isn’t fully charging the battery. A car battery has a charge capacity of around 40 amp-hours. The common auto battery charger – a trickle charger is even less – charges at its faster charge rate around 6 amps. So it takes 7 hours (6 amps * 7 hours = 42 amp-hours) to fully charge the dead battery using the typical battery charger. A trickle charger could take all week. If it isn’t feasible to leave a 6 amp capable battery charger connected overnight, for fear it will be stolen for example, when I’ve had that problem I just remove the battery from the vehicle and bring it inside to charge it that way. Usually I’d charge it not at 6 amps, but at 2 amps, via three overnight charges. That’s a little easier on the battery.

Here in my area of urban northern Calif you’d quickly get a parking ticket if your car is parked on the street without current plates and active registration. Last week one of my neighbor’s cars got towed, even with current registration and plates, b/c they went on vacation for 2 weeks and left one of their vehicles parked on the street in front of where they live. How diligently that parking code is enforced probably depends on where you live exactly.

@GeorgeSanJose

As for your neighbor’s car that got towed . . . is it possible one of your other neighbors reported that car as being abandonded, fully well knowing it wasn’t, because they’ve got a beef?

Reminds me, some people don’t like to see cars parked. My spare Riviera was parked in my 3 car drive way but the house was for sale next door. The realtor came over to check whether I had current plates or not in MY drive way. It wasn’t good enough to look at the plates but he had to knock on the door and ask my wife if it was current. Guess he thought that’s why he couldn’t sell the house. I 'spose I could have parked it in front of the house he was trying to sell just to make a point but I’m not that kinda guy and didn’t want it in the street anyway. There are some jerks around.

@Bing

If anything like that happened to me, I’d look the realtor straight in the eye and say “I suppose I could clean up my garage and park it inside. How much is that worth to you?” :naughty:

If that makes me some kind of jerk, oh well

12 years ago I bought a battery from AutoZone (recommended by Consumer Reports) that had an 8-year warranty. It held up for 10 before it wouldn’t hold enough of a charge to start.

Driving so little does not give sufficient TIME for the alternator to fully recharge the battery.
I have a 1979 Chevy pickup with a grand total of 71k miles, which quickly tells you how few miles it’s driven.
SO ?
So I got a solar trickle charger. It lays on the dash and plugs into the lighter socket to keep the battery up. ( it will not charge a dead battery )

Even still, the battery needs replaced about every six years or so.

Well I see that everywhere you post something (Craiglist, Chow whatever) there will always be some morons, some jerk that will ruin your day with their BS. Congratulation, meanjoe75fan you’re the jerk here on Car Talk.
I don’t know how long you have been here, I don’t care if you were the very first person to post here. You’re a jerk!

What is this non-sense about me being a stranger? What do I have to do to not be a stranger? Give my first and last name? my DOB, my address, my race/religion, my political views? Where did I go to school, my profession? Perhaps you want my Social Security number? And bank account? where… checking? saving? how much is there?

Is this site your private property? Am I trespassing?
This is a Website with a forum where people can ask questions. I listened to Car talk on the radio for 10 years and I thought I will ask my question here. (BTW I’m not new; I became a member years ago but with a different name. But it doesn’t matter). Anyone can come and ask a question and your reaction is stupid (I guess because YOU are stupid!)

Let me go right to the point; in my book you’re an axx!!!

I clicked on “disagree” on some people because their response was irrelevant and off-topic; My question was NOT “Should I keep my car?” my question was about the battery, so if someone gave me an unsolicited response about a subject that I didn’t raise, I did indeed click “disagree” as I should. I have the right to click on that button, that’s why it is there.

Also you’re an axx to jump to conclusion and saying that I have a DWI. You owe me an apology.
BTW Don’t flatter yourself; Although I mention you by name I am NOT talking to you. I just explain my position to everyone else. I don’t want to start a discussion with you. I’m not interested in your response. “When a dog barks at you, you don’t bark back if you’re a human”.

I feel better now. I’m sorry but when someone attacks me, I HAVE to response!
Now to all the nice people here:

For all those who said “You cannot park a vehicle with PNO (Planned non-operation) status on the street”.
Yes I know. You didn’t know that I know so you were trying to be helpful. Thank you. But I know.

When I said “I forgot to mention that…” I did not really forget; I just tried not to be too long in typing and also I did not want a distraction.
Also I said: “I don’t use it now for some reason that I will not get into”

But now that sone moron is insinuating that perhaps I’m a drug addict or something let me explain.
First that’s funny because I never in my life drank alcohol or do drugs. I don’t even smoke.
The reason I don’t drive my car is because I have neuropathy on my right leg. It is a nerve damage. Nobody knows why some people get it and there’s no cure. But it comes and goes. The doctor told me you can have it for a few days then it will go away and come back in a week or a month or 6 months or 1 year or 10 years or not coming back ever.
I had it a few months then it went away for 3-4 months then came back, then went away and came back for a few days and then again went away. Now I don’t have it for almost a year. The problem with driving is that when I put my foot on the brake, as you do at a traffic light waiting for the red light to become green, I can’t keep my foot more than 15-20 seconds. it will become numb. Driving is not a problem because I just have to touch the gas pedal and the car moves. It is the red light that is a problem.

I 'm better now but I have terrible financial problem and driving now is not an option because not only will I have to pay the regular fee and the smog check but also insurance every month (and paying gas as well) It is now a luxury I can’t afford.
So I’m not driving but if my finance improve I will drive it.
I did not mention all that because
a) it is irrelevant, I just had to say I don’t drive it now. The reason is irrelevant.
b) It’s more work, more time spend to explain. I’m gonna spend 1 hour typing this; why do it if I can avoid it?
(Actually it took me 2 hours).

Since I posted the update I received 21 response and almost all of them is about the PNO status or about the question was I disrespectful to some people? So I was right; this is a distraction: my question was about the battery.

I live in what I call a hidden street. It is not a closed community (that wouldn’t be a problem) or a private street (whatever that means). It is simply very difficult to find that street. I had to double check on my map and you can easily pass it without even knowing it. And the fact that it is a one-way street helps. It is residential, only houses. You need a permit to park in this street and I do have that permit. I rent a room in a house and the owner of the house also lives here.
I did park my car behind the house for 6 months but the owner wanted me to move the car because he can’t cut the grass under my car. I mentioned that I could get a ticket if I park in the street, he said “Nobody check that!” I said are you sure? He said “I live here for 40 years! I think I know what’s going on! They will check your permit”. I don’t believe him but today at 3 pm while I was standing near my car about to move it, a parking enforcement car drove by and didn’t say a word.
And my 2013 sticker on my license plate is orange, very different from the blue color (I think) which is 2016 It stands out but like i said the car just drove by.
If I get a fine I will appeal and talk my way out of it (don’t ask). The owner is thinking of paving the backyard with cement because he’s tired of cutting the grass every week. In that case I think I may park it again in the back.

DO YOU SEE WHY I SAID “I WILL NOT GET INTO DETAILS”?
WHY DO I HAVE TO WASTE 2 HOUR TYPING THIS?
WHY DO I HAVE TO DEFEND MYSELF?
WHAT IS IT TO YOU WHY I PARK IN THE STREET? Am I on trial here? GEEEEEE!!!

People have a great imagination here. So for the record
Unlike someone says it is not a truck but a Toyota Camry sedan 4 doors.
It HAS a license plate. No, it is not abandoned.
The neighborhood is where every house is 1 million dollars and up.

There are indeed some streets like that in urban areas, hidden in plain site. When I lived in downtown Denver where parking spots are at a premium over time I discovered dozens of places where I could park and not get a ticket, but they appeared to be places where it was illegal to park, so there were seldom any cars there to block my free-for-however-long-I-like parking spots. It was sweeeeet!!!

I usually edit stuff I write in a tirade at 2:00 in the morning instead of leaving it on the internet for ever.

First off, miki77, sorry for the false assumption re: DWI. It seemed the most likely explanation for why you a) had to not drive for an unspecified length of time, and b) didn’t want to talk about the specifics. I admitted that it was just a hunch, and I could be wrong…

BUT…you come in to this website, and ask for our help. When you started getting feedback that did not dovetail 100% with what you wanted to hear, you start handing out negative rep (“disagree”) to people that are ONLY TRYING TO HELP YOU. That is really an online faux pas…typically you “-rep” only for wrong advice NOT given in good faith, or advice that is factually incorrect, or potentially dangerous if taken. I appreciate you may not have known that then, but…you know it now. Some people take reputation on this site VERY seriously! (I can’t imagine why…reputation has no tangible benefit on this forum, unlike others, where it can “unlock” certain features, etc…)

I get the sense that you wanted “yes men” to “rubber-stamp” a preconceived notion of yours. Maybe I’m wrong, but that was the impression I got. If so, you could not have come to a worse place! Most of us are proud of being independent thinkers, and if you ask for our opinion, we’ll give it, warts and all.

And, for some advice that might actually help…have you looked into hand controls for your vehicle? If you have nerve pain that prevents you using your LEGS (exclusively), you might want to see if you could have your gas/brakes done with your HANDS. If you get a doctor’s opinion that this is “medically necessary,” you might even get help paying for it!

And, as you will notice, nobody could have thought to give this advice until you went into detail as to the nature of the problem; hence, you got lower-value responses than you otherwise would have, had you been forthcoming in the OP. (Programmers call this “GIGO”: garbage in, garbage out.)

I sincerely hope this helps; however, I’m aware this is not the advice you wanted to hear. I am, therefore, awaiting my -rep in 3…2…1…

Hi,
I’m surprised by your nice calm response. I thought I started a war and felt bad about it. Would you believe that I didn’t sleep well? And at the same time I thought about all the nasty things (and some humorous also) I will say to you if you leave a mean response. I also did not want to check for responses but I was curious.
Well I think I was a little bit strong.
This being said, I think you still don’t get it.

I clicked on “disagree” on some people because their response was irrelevant and off-topic; My question was NOT “Should I keep my car?” my question was about the battery, so if someone gave me an unsolicited response about a subject that I didn’t raise, I did indeed click “disagree” as I should. I have the right to click on that button, that’s why it is there.
You said:
“That is really an online faux pas…typically you “-rep” only for wrong advice NOT given in good faith, or advice that is factually incorrect, or potentially dangerous if taken.”
…Or if it is off-topic.

My question was about the battery, it was not “Should I keep my car? What do you think?Leave me some feedback”.
It was about the battery and if someone writes to me “I think you should get rid of it!” Without knowing anything about me, my car, my location, my situation, etc. that is pretty stupid (sorry) and since it was off topic it deserve to receive a negative response. Stay focus! Selling my car and keeping the battery alive are two different things.

Again, you accuse me of “rep-neg answers I didn’t like” despite the fact that you already read my response which I repeat here twice already.
Only a fool will ask strangers on a website: “Should I keep my car or sell it?” I will either sit down and think about it (pros and cons) or ask advise from a friend I know, respect, etc. I will certainly not ask strangers [as far as I know the guy who give me an advise could be Charles Manson (I understand that prisoners have access to computers)].
A little thing (how to keep my battery working) yes absolutely! You can ask that, but selling my car is an entirely different matter (BTW this is Los Angeles do you know how important a car is here due to the fact that LA is extremely big?).

So yes, if somebody advise me to sell my car, I find it… (let me be polite here since we are on the road to reconciliation) eh…rather…eh…inappropriate. Yes that will do it; it is inappropriate!..and weird…and strange…and not useful…and off-topic. Heck, click the disagree button already, will you?

You have to admit that it is also distracting, because my question was about the battery and 90% of the talk here is about something else.

Anyway, I will not apologize directly but I will admit that I could have just ignore it but you accused me to be a drug addict, a low-life and in another post that my license was suspended, etc. (If you knew me you would realize how hilarious this is!).

Anyway, I don’t see why we should continue to argue. You think I’m wrong to neg-rep people who commented on why on earth I keep my car and I see this as unsolicited, bad advise to a question (?) I never raised.
Let us agree to disagree. It is a waste of time for both of us to continue discussing this.

I received an answer to my problem (solar charger) and will shop for one on Amazon.
So Peace, Harmony, Love-Love and all that non-sense.

PS: Don’t forget to beat up anyone who text and drive!