How is your 2008 RAV4 holding up?

Hey folks, we are posting this donor story today on social media. We don’t have the mileage or specifics on what needed work (beyond tires). Curious if others are driving 2008 RAV4s today and what your experience has been.
https://www.cartalk.com/car-donation/reviews/toyota/amy-2008-rav-4/

I have to wonder just how many people who have a 2008 RAV4 will see this.

How many miles were on it?

Was wondering too. Doesn’t hurt to ask.

1 Like

Unfortunately, we don’t know.

I don’t own a 2008 RAV4 but my aunt did and continues to own the rav4s up to 2018.

She currently owns 2. A 2012 and a 2018.

She won’t buy any other vehicle other than the rav4s.

Now, she’s very neglectful and abuses her vehicles very much to the point where Toyota’s name gets a chance to prove itself as one of the toughest auto-manufacturers there is.

She does not change the oil in her vehicles on time, and frequently claims that she totally forgets to service her vehicles. She buys the cheapest parts money can buy, and she lets friends ( uncertified mechanics ) work on her vehicles when a problem arises.

Still, her rav4s never left her stranded on the roadside, always perform to her satisfaction, and she keeps her vehicles well over 10 years each time, racking up 250k + miles on them.

This is why I decided to purchase myself a 2021 rav4 which currently has 60k miles and has never had a problem except for a rock breaking the windshield and chipping the body.

UPDATE:

She also had a 1998 rav4, one like shown in the pic below:

2 Likes

To be fair, the RAV4 is a common vehicle, and a 2008 is not old. Most people expect a car to last for 15-20 years, so a 2008 model would still be in wide use. It’s not as if the OP asked “how is your 1993 Tercel holding up”. Very few people would still have one of those.

1 Like

Far better to ask this question on a site dedicated to that generation of Rav4 owners. Just based on random distribution and estimate of how many members on this site, I’d be surprised if there are more than 2-3 2008 Rav 4 owners here. I’m also a member of a site dedicated to 3rd Gen Highlanders.

1 Like

The story about the donated RAV4 was nice. But i thought the question to other 2008 owners was silly.

A better question would have been ( Have you or would you donate a vehicle? )

I read: great vehicle, loved it, moved to the north end of a rust belt state, raised family in it, son drove it in college and made it his own, now the AWD system is shot and it needs tires, also from what ai have seen on here, 10 years in the rust belt turns car metal to holes…

Sounds like they donated a parts car…

That picture must be from when Amy bought the RAV4. The woman in the photo couldn’t have a 20 yo son. I agree with @davesmopar. The RAV4 must be a parts car if the drive train is shot. Maybe @bcohen2010 wants it!! Oh, wait a minute, it’s at least 10 years too new for him. :wink:.

2 Likes

My take is, they want a pat on the back for donating a worthless car they couldn’t sell.

1 Like

Even the Car Talk staff gets rejected on this forum…

1 Like

Did someone just ask me if I’d like a 1998 RAV4??? Maybe. Oh, wait, you said 2008. Nevermind, you can keep that. Too many features that I DON’T want.

1 Like

I don’t recall very many Rav 4 related posts there, but the forum search feature turned up this thread about a supposedly problematic 2008 Rav 4.

1 Like

Right? Tough crowd.

Why are Community members being mean to Car Talk Staff for asking an automotive question, in our own forum?

This question was posted because I asked my staff to post it, to bring attention to vehicle donation and also get responses from anyone who has owned, or does own a RAV4. There are also many mechanics on our forum who might have valuable insights on the vehicle from having worked on them over the years.

From my master admin dashboard for the Community, I can see that there are over 500 discussions about the RAV4, and that there are over 50 discussions involving the 2008 RAV4.

Regardless of how many discussions there are, this is an automotive forum where people should feel free to ask questions involving automotive topics without being attacked, belittled or skewered for their curiosity.

The RAV4 is one of the most popular vehicles out there, so asking this question is completely within the realm of possibility. If you don’t like the question, or don’t like RAV4s, or don’t think the question is worth your time, you are more than free to not respond, not post about it, and ignore it altogether.

1 Like

Julie, I take issue with your question here. It’s not just CarTalk staffs are being to, your beloved and well respected regular members are also receiving the same treatment. And while I don’t consider myself important on here, I pose no harm nor have I ever provoked the forum, yet I’m being flagged left and right just for being here.

My suggestion is to look at who is being mean, and who is reporting maliciously, then ban that person for a limited time for causing CarTalk to be a place of hostility

1 Like

I agree it is not just Car Talk Staff. But that is what I am seeing right now, so that is why I asked about it.

We are unable to ban anyone who is not breaking our Code of Conduct.

I am guessing that the hostile members of the Community know this, and walk within that line.

Calling attention to it here via this post is not something to take issue with. It is something to bring more attention to the issues at hand.

Hostility of any kind is unwelcome here on this forum.

1 Like

Then consider not highjacking threads and stay on topic.