How is the Prius in the snow?

I want to buy a used Prius but I live in Syracuse, NY where we get a LOT of snow. Who can tell me about their experience in the snow with a Prius? (I would have snow tires in the winter.)

I know people who have them around here in snow country. They’re as good as any compact FWD sedan. No better,no worse. Ground clearance is not their strong point though. So snow of much depth is a problem. Son in law is from the area, so it really depends upon your travel requirements in the winter…do you have a choice of when you can drive for example ?

You will get reduced fuel economy in the winter, that that would happen with any car, hybrid or not.

Like dagosa said, with good winter tires, it should be as good as any small car with winter tires.

Agree; the complaints on traction we’ve received are with the original tires which are designed for minimum rolling resistance and maximum mileage.

You have to get witer tires if you live in the Great Lakes snow belt. That will also involve new air pressure monitors for about $300 or so. Nothing wrong with a Prius provided you drive a lot and mostly in cities to make them economically viable!.

And the air pressure monitors are optional if you’re willing to invest in and use a tire gauge. The new rims, if that’s your route will be the big cost…One of the few times it may be worth if to have them remounted each each. Do the “goes-in-to’s”.

A 2010 Prius V will have a $356 fee added on for TPMS, or you can reuse the sensors from the stock rims. Not worth the added cost if you ask me

It’s just a matter of living with the light on or not. My OEM Toyota rims with sensors do not light up dash with the winter rims w/o after change over. I see no problem other than finding rims that fit.

“Agree; the complaints on traction we’ve received are with the original tires which are designed for minimum rolling resistance and maximum mileage.”

That’s been my experience. The OEM tires are a very hard rubber and offer very poor traction all around.

With a Prius, some of that could be from reduced battery performance.

I live in Denver and my co-worker has a Prius. She drives about an hour to work, hour back home and says the Prius is great. We have different conditions than you though. If it snows, by the next day the sun is bright enough to melt the snow away. She doens’t use winter tires but notices the benefits of the electronic stability control.

You have to get witer tires if you live in the Great Lakes snow belt.

Do you mean WIDER tires???

And if so…sorry…but for snow (especially the Great Lakes area) you want skinnier tires when driving in snow.

Or do you mean WINTER tires??? If so I completely agree.

I grew up north of Syracuse (Pulaski). Any decent fwd vehicle will be fine. Snow tires are NOT optional in that part of the country. Here in New Hampshire…any decent all-season tires are fine…but NOT in Syracuse or Watertown or anywhere in-between.