How I keep my Diesel starting and running all year

CarTalk 2009-01-24

On this mornings show they were talking to a fellow who has a problem starting his Diesel in Africa. Since the first Diesel I bought used, which would not start at temperatures below 40 Degrees Fahrenheit I learned that the first thing that you need to do with a Diesel when you buy it, is clean the injection system. I started with a can of AMSOIL Power Foam (this is NOT recommended by either the manufacture, me or AMSOIL, since spraying ANY FUEL into the intake of a Diesel Engine can easily cause the Engine to run too fast and destroy itself, it must be done very very very carefully if you are dumb enough to do it at all at all).

The next thing that I do is pour a large amount of AMSOIL Diesel additive in the fuel tank and run the engine a long time, that is drive it around a lot, to clean the Fuel Injection System. The third thing is to use AMSOIL Diesel Additive every time you put fuel in the tank, which will keep the Fuel Injectors clean and Lubricate both them and the Diesel Injection Pump.

After doing this my Diesel will start just fine even when the temperature is Negative 40 Degrees. Frankly I would try this before I try anything else. If it works you have solved your problem, if not you may very well have a problem with cylinder compression as the boys indicated on the radio.

I use the AMSOIL Diesel Fuel Additive every time I fill the fuel tank and AMSOIL 100% Synthetic Engine Oil in the Engine, and when we took the engine apart, after I was stupid enough to blow the head gasket out by doing something really really stupid that was totally my fault, when the vehicle had 250,000 miles on it, we found that the entire engine met the same specifications as a new engine (clean and no significant wear), including the entire fuel injection system (including Diesel Pump and Injectors). That engine had run for 250,000 miles without being touched since new, and spent much of those miles towing a trailer. Do what you want, however this works for me.

Best regards.

Dwight S. Smith, d.b.a. icarian enterprises

The Only Ongoing Nonpartisan Presidential Campaign ! ! !

MySpace: http://www…nfordsmith

AMSOIL costs less to use, and does a better job than anything else.

Look up my Web Site ! ! !

Internet: http://www…ht-s-smith

E-Mail: dwight-s-smith@juno.com

Post Office Box 1960, Ann Arbor, Michigan 48106-1960

Frankly if you can start your Diesel at all, you can clean out your Diesel Injection System well enough by just using the Fuel Additive that you put in your tank. DO NOT try to spray ANYTHING in to the intake system, that is just too dangerous. Just because I was that stupid is no reason for you to be that stupid.

I sincerely apologize to anyone who mistakes this good advice for spam, I have never sent spam to anyone and never intend to. If you want to take my advice and use some other product, by all means go ahead. The only thing that I have ever or will recommend is things that have actually worked and worked well and consistently for me I can not recommend or accurately comment on a product or anything else that I have not actually used. Thank you.

I just feel sorry for the people (like the poor gentleman who is running the mission in Africa) who dismiss this advise out of hand and end up spending a lot of time effort and money unnecessarily to get their Diesels to start and run properly.

If you disagree with me just tell me what your problem is, like a civilized person, rather than slandering me with words like ?spam?.

Best regards.

Dwight S. Smith

You aren’t an Amsoil distributer by chance are you?

I just checked his web site and HE DOES SELL AMSOIL! What a suprise.

BEGONE SPAMMER!

I repeat:

I sincerely apologize to anyone who mistakes this good advice for spam, I have never sent spam to anyone and never intend to. If you want to take my advice and use some other product, by all means go ahead. The only thing that I have ever or will recommend is things that have actually worked and worked well and consistently for me I can not recommend or accurately comment on a product or anything else that I have not actually used. Thank you.

I just feel sorry for the people (like the poor gentleman who is running the mission in Africa) who dismiss this advise out of hand and end up spending a lot of time effort and money unnecessarily to get their Diesels to start and run properly.

If you disagree with me just tell me what your problem is, like a civilized person, rather than slandering me with words like ?spam?.

just because I can supply a helpful product product is no reason to dismiss good advice by slandering it as “spam”.

Best regards.

Dwight S. Smith

The web lackeys who administer this site do not look kindly on those who use the site to peddle products in which they have a vested interest.

Amsoil saleman/distributor=someone who has a vested interest in the sale of Amsoil products. Ergo, this thread should not even exist.

SPAMMER BE GONE!

He’s not an AMSpammer, he only advised us once. Then he confessed! Car dealers should be so honest. Kerosene in the fuel is what the Northerners do for starting. For longevity, most diesels go a long way without wearing out. This is the voice of no experience talking.

Please answer a few questions for me. If your advice isn’t spam, why did you include a link to your site where you sell Amsoil? Wouldn’t non-spam include advice whithout your effort to peddle your wears? How should I distinguish the difference betwen you and a spammer? Should I take your denial at face value or should I evaluate all of your statements and identify your obvious conflict of interest? What criteria would you use if you were in my position?

Damn spammers!

You, my dear sirs have a very laughable definition of ?spam?. One, onetime piece of helpful advice, is not, and never has been, ?spam?. On the other hand candidate Barak Obama sent hundreds of text messages to my phone which I never asked for, and I had to pay for, considering that he probably did that to hundreds of thousands of other people, that makes the person that someone elected President one of the largest real big time ?spammers? in the history of the United States. Did I send out E-Mail to everyone on the Internet complaining about Mr. Obama?s poor judgment? No, that would have been ?spam?.

Just because I am honest and tell you what my relationship to the product is does not make me a defacto ?spammer?. I would bet that most of the people who take my good advise and actually want to buy the product, that I can supply, will purchase it from one of the thousands of dealers or stores that sell those very same products all over this great country, with no benefit to me whatever, except that I might get an occasional, person who says thank you, and no money. I spent my life as a public servant and a sincere thank you has always been the most appreciated reward that I have ever gotten.

Best regards.

Dwight S. Smith

I’ve owned two diesel trucks over the past 14 years. I have never used any kind of additive and they both still run great. One is an International flat bed tow truck and the other is my Dodge Ram dually. They have sat and started and have been driven in temps as low as 0 degrees with no problems. The things I have found out over the years is 1: in low temps, keep your fuel tank over 1/2 especially if you are going to shut it down for the night. The lower the level in your tank, the higher the probability it will gel. 2: Keep an extension cord availiable to plug the block heater into an outlet before letting it sit overnight. I do 5k oil changes with Rotella oil and Wix filters.

transman

We could argue all day and all night about what constitutes “spam”, so let us not continue with that unproductive discussion. The fact remains that you have a vested financial interest in the product that you are recommending, and that is not appropriate on this site.

Incidentally, your “good advise” is not necessarily good, and what you are offering is actually ADVICE, not “advise” (sic). I also spent many years of my life as a public servant (whether that is relevant or not), and I sincerely request that you stop trying to sell your merchandise to us.

Amsoil is a pyramid sales scheme like Amway and Best-Line and Tupperware.

I wouldn’t use their lubricants in my lawn mower…While they may work OK, they would be WAY overpriced due to the multi-step mark-ups…

Yep, pure sales pitch.

I put 480,000 on my diesel and never used an injection cleaner. Someone explain to me on a diesel how you could add something to the intake and have it clean the injection system? Its a closed injection system. If you added it to the intake, it would go to the combustion chamber and not touch the injection system except the ends of the injectors. It would bypass the pump, lines, and injectors.

The point is not whether this should be called spam or something else. The point is using this forum for promoting your commercial interests which, as I understand it, is against forum rules.

You apparently missed the fact that it is a Fuel Additive which flows through the entire injection system and its main purpose is to keep the working end of the fuel injector clean and properly lubricated as well as the Fuel Injection Pump lubricated. When I worked at the EPA one of the biggest concerns that the Diesel Engine manufacturers have is the lack of the ability of the Diesel Fuel to properly lubricate the Fuel Injection Pump, and Injectors.

When the sulfur is removed from the Diesel Fuel the lubricating properties of the Diesel Fuel become significantly less. Low sulfur Diesel Fuel is a lousy lubricant, Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Fuel is an even worse lubricant. Sulfur was taken out of Diesel Fuel so that the Diesel Engine Manufacturers can meet the newer more strict particulate exhaust emission standards, and for no other reason.

If you are in an area where they ticket you for excess smoke emissions, generally a fuel additive will help clean that up.

Best regards.

Dwight S. Smith

I am not going to get into your misconceptions about AMSOIL, or its marketing system, except to say that it is nothing like those other companies that you mentioned and certainly not a pyramid. It markets to all of the same markets that all of the other oil companies do, including retail stores, on the same basis that the other oil companies do and nearly always at a lower cost to the customer.

We are not here to talk about any brand; we are here to help people with their vehicles, even if I had not been honest enough to admit my association with one brand there are plenty of people out there who would talk about nothing else. The only response that I can give to that is, just get over it.

Best regards.

Dwight S. Smith

I will share one of many pieces of wisdom which I learned in the over 30 years that I worked for the United States Environmental Protection Agency, with Automotive Manufacturers from all over the world. This piece of advice applies equally to Gasoline and Diesel engines; in short it applies to any vehicle or engine which has a fuel injector.

The summary of the advice that these vehicle manufacturers conveyed to us was that the fuels on the market will not by themselves keep the working parts of your fuel injection system clean, and when fuel injectors get dirty you will get bad fuel economy, poor performance, hard starting, and if it gets bad enough it will not start at all. The fuel injectors have very tiny (you could say microscopic) holes that the fuel must be sprayed through on Gasoline Engines and equally tight tolerances on Diesel engines.

The manufacturer?s solution is to sell the customer a fuel system additive which does much of what the fuel additive that I use does, except surprise surprise, the manufacturer?s fuel additive is very expensive. It is a lot more expensive than what I use, which as far as I am still aware of is the least expensive to use product on the market that does the job.

The manufacturers ultimatum to the customer, when out of the goodness of their heart the towed in vehicles which were still under warranty and cleaned them up for free, was to hand the customer a container of their fuel additive product and instruct them how to use it along with a copy of a bill showing how much it will cost to do this clean-up job again. They then told the customer that this time it is ?on the house? and if their vehicle is brought in again for this problem it will be very expensive, even if you have an independent shop do the work. The one thing that they make a very strong point of is that the regular use of a good (of course the manufacturer specifies theirs) fuel system additive is the best preventative measure that you can use. I have helped many people out with those same problems, and solved their starting and fuel economy problems every time.

I help people all of the time, with many things, and most of the time I spend my own time and money to help them asking for nothing in return. Only occasionally do I get a thank you, and nothing else. As I have said before I am a life long public servant, I just wish that more of the professional public servants, especially politicians, could follow that example.

Best regards.

Dwight S. Smith

I guess that is a matter of preference. You prefer to have to park where there is someplace to plug your extension cord into. I do not have that choice when I am on the road there are no places to plug in any kind of heater. Frankly I prefer to just add a small amount of fuel additive into the tank at every fill up, and not only can I start anywhere anytime but I maximize my fuel economy and give my Fuel Injection system the lubrication that the current Ultra Low Sulfur fuels are lacking.

Best regards.

Dwight S. Smith

I did not mentioned any commercial interest, unless someone went to the extra effort to poke around in my standard signature block to find something, which most people do not, and I have no intention in discussing such things. It seems like that is all some people are interested in.

I really do feel sorry for those poor people. I guess the only answer that I can give to those people is that they might try to get over it and try some constructive comments about things that they do have experience with instead of continually harping on irrelevant things that nobody except them seem to care about.

Best regards.

Dwight S. Smith