How do I remove a detached radiator cap

I have a 2001 Olds Alero with the V6 engine. When I took my car in for an oil change, the shop noticed there was a slow leak (caused by a manifold gasket—I’d rather add antifreeze than pay $600 to get it fixed).

When I went to remove the radiator cap on the overflow container, the cap came off, but the gasket inside it did not. A half-hour later, we got it off. I bought a new cap and attached it.

Today, I went to open the cap to add more antifreeze and the same thing happened.

How can I easily get this gasket off? I’ve heard there is a special tool that will do just that (radiator cap removal). It feels like it is screwed in.

Also, how can I prevent this happening in the future?

I don’t know how to fix the detached radiator cap, my 2001 Alero has the same problem. But you need to get that lower intake manifold gasket replaced before you ruin the engine. This is a common problem on the GM V-6 engine. Google search if you need proof, but get it fixed.

The cap isn’t your problem. Have the manifold gasket replaced or start saving up for a new engine.

The coolant level is only one symptom of the gasket problem. The longer you wait the more damage will be done and them more expensive the repair will be. That leak is causing damage.

It would be a poor idea to not repair a leak in a radiator as it will only get worse, but where you have a leak, it is going to get very expensive very quickly.