Radiator

I had to have my radiator replaced and got it back and total was only $280. I have air getting into the radiator via issues with the engine, to help elivate all that pressure I was told not to tighten the cap on teh overflow jug all the way which would allow so pressure to escape. It does and so does some antifreeze. I am replacing the loss antfreeze. Will doing this help reduce the pressure on the new radiator?

What was wierd was that the radiator was warped? It was in a U shape, bot a ful U but not like it is suppose to be. Not sure what could cause a radiator to be in that shape outside of a head on accident, but no sign of that?

Also now I have noticed that loooooong after I stop driving and the engine has cooled down I am getting a few drops of either oil or tans fluid from underneath where the radiator is. Not a lot looks to be a few drops, any idea what is causing that?

Pressure in the cooling system can come from a blown head gasket, I’d have it checked out. Transmission fluid could be leaking from one of the lines going into the radiator as well.

Your mechanic sounds like he doesn’t know what he’s doing. I just had my radiator replaced (was leaking coolant from the plastic top) and it was $399, so far no leaks or air of any kind. If they replaced the radiator and transmission fluid is leaking from it then they didn’t connect the radiator cooling lines properly. Also, the advice to just leave the cap loose sounds like they’re trying to avoid dealing with the air problem rather than actually solving it.

The engine has issues, I have almost no compression from the No. 1 cylinder. When a leak down test was done on it they got air out the tail pipe and through the radiator overflow jug. Repairing it will cost more then the car is worth. My mechanic didn’t recomend to lossen the cap, that was another person with whome I have discussed my car’s issue. My mechanic is very reasonable, he replaced my dad’s radiator for $200 (dodge neon) and there has been no issue. My radiator cost $110 and he charged me $170 installation.

Why does it take so long for the leak to happen? I will take it back over to him this weekend I guess.

[i] When a leak down test was done on it they got air out the tail pipe and through the radiator overflow jug. Repairing it will cost more then the car is worth. [/i]

Exactly.  You are going to need to put a fair amount of money into this car to make it whole.  Doing just one thing, is likely not going to last log enough to get your money's worth before the next (new engine or very serious engine repair) is going to hit.

Since the car only cost me $450, my plan is just to drive it till the engine dies or the repairs to get it running is outlandish. A friend suggested I try something called Steel Seal which could help sealing the bad headgasket and give me some more life in this engine. Has anyone heard of this stuff? Any reviews?