How accurate is Carfax reports?

CarFax reports are a marketing tool used on uninformed people. If something shows up on a CarFax report, then it does have a high probability that it’s correct. As I said, the problem with a CarFax report is what’s NOT on the report. Dealers have contracts with CarFax. Dealers give CarFax their data and in return CarFax gives the dealers access to their reports. Many independent mechanics and bodyshops do NOT have this relationship with CarFax, so any repairs they do will never be reported to CarFax. CarFax also gets some of their data from states insurance bureau. But in many states that practice is not allowed.

1 Like

I think very safe and reliable you can’t buy a used car without 1 n if you live in the RUST BELT THERE EVEN MORE IMPORTANT I HATE RUST I HAD A DREAM A WHILE BACK THE STATE SWITCHED TO QUICK JOE AND AT BUDGET TIME HAD SOME UNGODLY BILLION DOLLAR DEFICIATE FROM ITS COST AND IT WAS ALL MY IDEA AND MY DREAM I REMEMBER EVERYONE LOOKING AT ME AT THE BIG POLITICAL ROUND TABLE I SAID HEY I WAS ONLY THINKING ABOUT THE ROADS AND MY CARS ALSO LETS SEE 3 mid 80s monte’s frame rails replaced at wheel well 2 Buick Regals1983, 80 Grand prix also all framrails had to be replaced so my vendetta is legitimate haha…

well once in a while a brazen thief will come along and still do the do the crime knowing the paper trail is gonna lead straight there door the thief’s desperately must be in a bad bad financial situation you will go to prison for that and I think since multi states are involved it will be a fed case

So the guy in Florida with his low mileage 2000 Corvette, all service done at the dealer and reported to Carfax.

Car gets flooded in a hurricane in Florida, only has liability insurance on it, The guy dries and cleans it up, gets it running, and takes it to Michigan to sell.

Seeing there is no insurance claim on it for the flood damage, the only thing Carfax knows is the service record at the dealer

The Carfax report makes it look like a great car, yep, they’re real reliable.

6 Likes

@woodzappl07_182423 Capital letters on a Forum ! Why are you yelling at me with that nonsense

2 Likes

Holy word salad Batman!

Thanksgiving , the time for crazy uncles to show up here .

Me thinks woodzapp fits that description .

4 Likes

Quit it guys, next thing your going to tell us is Santa isnt real ! ! SANTA IS REAL (really) :rofl: :joy: :rofl:

2 Likes

The only value of Carfax to me is that I would eliminate cars that reported red flags. No red flags, then take a look, if interested get a PPI.

4 Likes

Yes, a high probability, but not an absolute assurance of accuracy.
IIRC, @ok4450’s Saab was listed as stolen on a Carfax report, even though it had never been stolen and was sitting in his driveway.

Those are extremely low. What makes CarFax reports so inaccurate are the accidents/repairs/maintenance that’s NOT on the report. That accounts for 99% of their inaccuracy.

Same with your medical history/record. Only as accurate/complete as the data entered. When medical records were all paper, a lot of information got lost.
Digital, again only as good as the information entered.

1 Like

Mike, how were you able to do that yellow highlight? Im envious.

Can you be sure the car was not stolen and recovered while the previous owner had the car?

You would have to ask that question of @ok4450. He was the one who owned the allegedly stolen Saab.