Horror story

Desperate need of advice. My 2003 Pontiac Vibe was towed with its parking brake on. Now it won’t steer well, though the power steering fluid is filled but worst of all now it won’t turn on. It just makes a clicking noise when I try to start it. What could it be? What do I do? Help please.

Buy a new battery

Once you have the new battery installed, have your brakes inspected, the rears may have the parking brake stuck at the brake caliper.

In any event, if you can’t do the work yourself, it needs to be towed to a trusted local independent mechanic, you have lots of things to look into.

1 Like

This sounds like something the towing company MAY be responsible for

However . . . if your car was towed because it was illegally parked or something along those lines . . . it may be a different story, because in those situations the tow truck operator will very often not have the ability to release your parking brake, because he can’t gain access to the release mechanism inside the vehicle

Please give us some more details

1 Like

Without being able to get the engine started, how do you know there is a problem with the power steering?

2 Likes

I’ve always wondered who is responsible for damage if your car is towed due to illegal parking. Now that I have a Subaru which has to be towed on a flat-bed, I am concerned about that.

I frequently park for 3-4 days at a time, and the concern is that after I park, a temporary no park sign is put up (for a moving van, for example, or construction) and I get towed. I try to walk by the spot daily when I remember, to check.

I never park in a tow zone for 3+ days. Our town discourages overnight parking in visible locations. City code requires all houses to have garages.

I thought tow trucks put the rear wheels on free-wheeling dollies when they encounter that problem. No?