Brake pads

I have a 2010 Honda Civic. I seem to have to replace front brake pads every year. I do put approx 23,000 miles per year on the car. Still I thought the front brake replacement rate was high. The Honda service guy said that the standard is to use “soft” brake pads on the front and that they wear down faster. He said he could use the “harder” pads but they are more damaging to the rotors and can be noisey. Is this true? I am a poor student very little income. If I can use the "harder brakes and have them last longer that would be great.

Thank you for any helpful comments.

You are probably better off with the “harder type” since your current rate of wear is unacceptably high. Unless you live in San Francisco, you should be able to get 50,000-60,000 miles out of a set, if you drive sensibly. My last car was sold at over 200,000 miles and had 3 brake jobs.

I would not worry about “extra wear on the rotors”

If you’re not already doing so, I suggest you use AutoZone brake pads with liftetime warranty. You can pay for the parts one time only, and then keep exchanging them.

I’m not a huge fan of AutoZone brake parts, but in your circumstance and with your limited income, it would be the prudent choice.

I just put akebono ceramic brake pads on my son-in laws Honda. He was wearing out the factory pads. They last longer, stop better and make hardly any brake dust. He got them on Amazon and did not pay any shipping, student discount.

My wife was burning through OEM semi-metallic brake pads too quickly. I switched to Raybestos Ceramic pads and they’ve lasted more than twice as long so far.

I use Wearever Gold pads on my 2005 Accord. They are OEM replacements (ceramic). I need rear pads now, and they are about $32 (2 pair) at Advance Auto Parts.

The “Honda Service Guy” is a salesman, not a mechanic. That does not mean that they always know nothing about cars, some of them are real car guys, but that is not a requirement to be a service writer. But he is wrong about the harder pads wearing out the rotors faster, at least when it comes to ceramic pads.

Good quality ceramic pads, such as Wagner Thermoquiet Ceramic OEM pads will last a long time and help the rotors to last about twice as long as the softer organic pads. Akebono are also good pads but I’d avoid the Duralast Ceramic, they don’t seem to be as good.

Honda also has a ceramic OEM pad that is very good. If you are wearing out your brakes in 23k miles, even the softer organic brakes, either something is wrong with the brake system, you live in a very mountainous or hilly area or you are not driving very smoothly. The standard brakes should last 50-70k miles.

Two things young drivers do that is hard on brakes is left foot braking and tailgating. Its amazing what one or two extra car lengths will do to extend the brake life and improve gas mileage.

“Its amazing what one or two extra car lengths will do to extend the brake life and improve gas mileage.”

You also arrive more relaxed and in better spirits when you don’t tailgate.