Honda Odyssey - Rear Drum Squeal

Our 2001 Odyssey has one squealing brake. Had it adjusted, new pads, drum grind, but still howling frequently. Feathering brake seems to reduce the squawk, but not practical in LA traffic. Thoughts?

its possible the heat/ debris shield was bent or deformed when they took off the rotors.

does it squeal different in turns, or change pitch when applying the brakes in a turn?

if its the shield it is an easy fix to take off the rotor and look for th eshiny spots on the shield and bang it down so it doesnt rub.

also next time you do the brakes replace the rotors everyother brake job. it isnt worth it to grind them. (my opinion)

out of curiosity did you do the brakes yourself? did you use brake cleaner to thoroughly clean all the pads, rotors and calipers when reassembling? oil from your hands and dirt can cause the same noise until it rubs/burns off.

Honda issued a TSB for brake groan. Not sure if it is what you are complaining of. Here is the TSB hope it helps.
~Michael

I’ll throw something out there that I’ve seen a couple of times, and strange it is.
In some cases in the past someone installing tires or removing the wheels may reinstall the wheels with an air wrench and overtighten the lugs.
In some cases this can distort the wheel itself.

When the freshly machined drums are reinstalled and the lugs are tightened, even to their proper torque, the distorted wheel will actually deform the just turned brake drum.
The last vehicle I saw this on was a near new dealer demo car with less than 400 miles on it. The rear brakes would squeal loud enough to be heard a block away. Rotate the front wheels to the rear and the problem disappears. Rotate them back again to the original positions and the noise returns. In this case, the fix was a pair of new wheels.

The old VW Bugs and Beetles were notorious for this due to their wide lug pattern. When drums were turned on those cars the wheel lugs were loosened, retorqued properly, and the drums were machined with the wheels bolted in place on the drums.

I would follow Dartman’s suggestion about the TSB first and then consider a wheel distortion problem; assuming the drums were turned properly, shoes/hardware installed correctly, and no one contaminated the new shoes with a greasy finger.