Honda low on trans fluid, speedometer needle dies

I noticed while driving my 95 Accord that my “drive” light was flashing, shortly after that the transmission slipped a little and also my speedometer needle died. I checked fluid, found it didn’t register on the stick. Added 2 quarts, light stopped flashing but car still slipped a little at low speeds, coinciding with speedometer needle acting funny. Next day drove it 50 miles highway, no problem, no glitches.

Could the low fluid have affected the speedometer needle? Am I getting ready to have some problems or is that just what happens with the Honda? I suspected I had a timing belt issue but it rode fine today.

The slipping is a bad sign, as is the fact that you were low on transmission fluid. It doesn’t just evaporate. It leaked out from somewhere, and it’s going to do it again if you don’t get it fixed. The fact that you drove it with low transmission fluid may well have damaged the clutch packs, although it behaving the next day is a pretty good sign.

You should get it in to a shop to have the leak found and fixed, and hope that the tranny wasn’t damaged so you won’t have to get it rebuilt/replaced.

Your transmission is more than likely damaged goods so I would advise not going too far from home; just in case.

You mention timing belt. Has that belt ever been replaced?

Yes, we replaced in 2002. We have always maintained this car,It’s really been good to us, 185,000 miles, and I really wanted to keep her going, but now I have brake fluid leaks, oil leaks, and now transmission fluid. It may be time to replace her. I’m looking at the Fit.

It’s time for a new timing belt again.

We are all used to posts that claim excellent maintenance, but after further probing we find out that the excellent maintenance actually consists of only oil changes and nothing else. In this case, the “well-maintained” car is actually due (or overdue) for its second timing belt replacement, and is leaking several fluids–[b]including brake fluid[/b]. Claiming good maintenance in this case is just a bit more disingenuous than usual.

So, it needs to be said:
In addition to the financial riskiness of driving a car that is due or overdue for timing belt replacement, it is REALLY foolish (bordering on insane in my opinion) to drive a car with a leaking brake hydraulic system.

When that slow leak suddenly and unexpectedly becomes a Niagara-type leak that results in loss of braking power, how do you plan to deal with the consequences of the collision that will probably result from an inability to stop? What if people are killed as a result of operating your car with a leaking brake hydraulic system?

What if a forensic examination of the car, post-accident, reveals the long-term leak in the brake hydraulic system? Can you say criminally negligent?

If nothing else, the leaking brake hydaulic system needs to be repaired before selling this car. I agree that it has probably reached the point where it makes sense to move on, rather than to keep repairing it, but passing on this safety hazard to the next owner would be irresponsible and immoral.

Wow, why don’t you tell me what you really think? Haha, point made and agreed with. It’s time to put the old girl out to pasture. I wouldn’t sell it without telling the next owner about everything it needs. I’m not that much of an idiot. :slight_smile:

You may not be that much of an idiot, but the next owner might be foolish enough to continue to drive the car in the same way that you have–with a leaking brake hydraulic system.

If you are really a responsible, moral person, you will have the leaking hydraulics repaired before you drive it even 5 more miles, and before you sell the car.