Honda CRV is not starting

I drive a 98 Honda CRV and it recently stopped starting. Several things are going on here:

1. When you turn off the car, take the keys out of the ignition, and open the door, it beeps as if the keys are still in.

2. It used to be tricky to turn the key in the ignition (you would have to wiggle it in until you found it’s special spot)

3. The key now turns in the ignition very easily, though you can’t put the key all the way in.

4. I went to go check on it yesterday (this all happened 5 days ago) and the battery is now dead.

5. 3 gallons of gas was put into the car since it stopped working.

Any thoughts on what is going on here?

I think you have a bad key switch from the information you have listed here. If the vehicle beeps when you open the door then key switch power is still on when you remove the key. That could explain the dead battery after 5 days. You need to see a good mechanic to get the problem diagnosed fully and repaired.

96 threw 99 had trouble with key switches,very many keys on your ring seem to wear them out faster.

Missileman is, I think, right. You have a bad switch in the key cylinder. If you’re handy, it’s a part you can replace yourself for probably under $100. You’ll have to be able to remove the steering wheel, however, so if your car is equipped with air bags make sure you know what you’re doing before attempting the repair, otherwise you could seriously injure yourself.

i’ve mentioned this a few places for crv owners with stalling problems, i’m wondering if this is related. my 99 crv had a recall on the ignition switch, which was replaced for free at a dealer. check with a dealer with your vin number and they’ll be able to tell you if yours is included.