Honda Civic Navigation System

Hello All…

I’ve got a 2006 Honda Civic Hybrid with Navigation.

This morning, the navigation system did not turn on, and the screen- which is also the screen for the radio- does not work.

I can still listen to the radio, but I have to use the steering wheel controls to operate, and I have to use the voice command to turn the radio on and off… the navigation screen is completely inoperable.

To be honest, the only idea I have is that the fuse needs replacing???

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

-Matt from New York

It’s unlikely to be a fuse.
It’s more likely that the backlight for the touchscreen has failed. You can verify this by shining a very bright flashlight or spotlight on it while the unit is on. Try different angles and see if you can faintly see the display in the light.

Of course, it doesn’t really matter too much exactly what has failed, as probably the touchscreen assembly is only replaced as a whole, and not repaired.

I think Honda is your only remedy for this one. Let us know what it costs to fix or replace the unit.

You might try to see if you can buy a “used” one on ebay. That’s what I did when a Volvo radio failed and Volvo wanted $600 to replace it.

Thanks for the reply…

Not sure if this changes your opinion, but none of the buttons (on/off, pre-set radio stations, volume, scan, etc…) work either… so, not only can I not see anything on the screen, but there seems to be no power at all to the system’s face. I’ve attached a photo of the face so it’s easier to visualize.

If it was just the backlight, I’d guess that the buttons on the face would still work… no?

Thanks again for the response…

You’re right. It’s not the backlight then. Unfortunately, I still don’t believe that it is as simple as a fuse.