Honda civic lx 1992 wont start

My car dash board will start up when i turn over the key but thats all it will do i dont even get the sound like its about to start it was just working yesterday what do i check do any onr know please help

I can think of several things. However it is a littler harder to pinpoint the problem. My guess is the ignition switch is bad. I don’t suggest just replacing it. I would be looking for a local auto electric professional who can trace it for you and correct the problem.

Good Luck

It could be as expensive as a dead starter assembly or as simple as a dead battery (dash lights take very little juice to light, but starting an engine takes lots) or even a corroded cable connection. There are too many possibilities to tell from here. The good news is that it should be easy to diagnose and affordable to repair.

Honda’s of this era are notorious for bad main relays. Usually it’s bad solder joints. I would start with the battery, but check out You tube for fixes on main relays.

A bad main relay won’t prevent the starter from operating.

If the vehicle has an automatic transmission, turn the ignition on so the dash lights come on, step on the brake pedal and put the transmission into neutral and then try stating the engine. If the engine starts there’s a problem with the park/neutral safety switch.

Tester

Theres a cord up under the steering wheel hanging could that have anything to do with it. At first i could get a jump to get it started. But now it wont even do that.

I dont think its the ignition switch because it turns but it just doesn’t start its not locked or anything

The ignition cylinder is what turns. The ignition switch is what the cylinder uses to send electricity to the starter. If the switch is bad, the car won’t start even though the key turns.

If you take off the lower steering column cover and contort yourself under the wheel (something which gets harder with every passing year) you’ll see the metal ignition cylinder where the key goes in. It’s barrel-shaped. Attached to the back of that is a white, short-barrel-shaped piece with wires coming out of it. That’s the ignition switch. Tracing its wires over to the other side of the steering wheel, you’ll see where it’s plugged in.

Replacing it is easy - just unplug it, unscrew the 2 screws that secure it to the cylinder, and remove. When you install the new one, put your key in the ignition first - that will force the new switch to line up properly with the cylinder - - if you don’t do this step, the key won’t turn.

This is, of course, assuming that the problem is with your ignition switch, which I somewhat doubt. My money is on @Tester 's answer - you have a bad park/neutral safety switch.

I still think you need a shop. There’re just way too many possibilities.

http://www.aa1car.com/library/car_wont_start.htm