Honda Civic Hybrid

I am looking to buy a used 2006 Honda Civic hybrid but am concerned about life expectancy. My 2000 Dodge Neon has about 100,000 miles on it and has begun giving me engine and AC problems. I just want to get a car and pay it off and still have some driving time in it.

If I were you I would not buy a used hybrid when you are on a fixed budget. The cost of your Neon problems will be small per repair compared to a hybrid which develops problems sooner or later.

If you really live in Hawaii and don’t drive much, a standard low mileage Civic, Toyota Corolla, or Mazda 3 will serve you well. Hybrids are only worthwhile if you do an inordinate amount of city/highway driving.

Being tired of your Neon is understandable; at 100,000 miles these cars start wearing out, and ongoing repairs will be the norm.

1 Like

If you’re concerned about the longevity of a hybrid, and you do NOT do a lot of city driving, a hybrid isn’t really for you. Just about any car will be better than your current ride, so check into a normal Honda Civic

Perhaps you should get a non-hybrid Civic. Mine has been paid off for more than 5 1/2 years and is still a reliable vehicle.

The life expectancies of a 2000 Neon and a 2006 Civic Hybrid are worlds apart. The Neon was designed to reliably self-destruct at about 100K miles (now all the Neon owners will hate me). The Civic, on the other hand (hybrid or otherwise), might easily last 200-300K with proper maintenance.

Please note; proper maintenance. It’s always important.

If your driving environment favors a hybrid (more city driving than highway), then maybe a Civic hybrid is a good choice for you.

Please be aware that the Civic hybrid will not operate on battery power alone, like the Toyota Prius will. The Civic always has the gasoline engine running.

Are you really on Maui? If so, a hybrid might be the best choice, since you never have to drive really long distances.

1 Like

Until true plug ins with 40+miles are available, I would discourage the purchase of a hybrid new or used as their expense I don’t feel is long term cost effective. A regular used Civic/Corolla would be my recommendation.

So far the repair record of the Civic Hybrid and regular Civic are similar. As the cars age the advantage may go to the conventional, say from 10 years old an on. Both Civics will hold up much better than your Neon.

The main advantage of the Hybird over the regular Civic are when the car is used in urban stop and go driving. If most of your travel is on highways with a few stoplights now and again the regular Civic would get about the same mpg.

I have an '03 Civic with 90K miles that is going just fine. I get just over 40mpg on 70 mph interstate trips, and about 35mpg in mixed driving. A Hybrid won’t do that much better and would cost more to buy. If the price of the '06 Civic Hybird is close to a new conventional Civic I’d get the new one. All Civic’s now come with the Vtec motor and ABS brakes so you can get a “plain Jane” version that is well equipped, safe, efficient, and reliable.

Thanks for all of the advice as it has given me lots to think of. Yes, I am on Maui and have a 19 mile commute to and from work. I have the opportunity to purchase a 2006 Honda Civic Hybrid for $13,900 that has about 42K on it. The Honda dealership has quoted me $18,600 for a new 2009 Honda Civic or $21,500 for a 2010 Honda Insight Hybrid. My Dodge Neon is surprisingly getting 24-28 miles per gallon still and with fuel costing $3.69 or more per gallon I do want something with better fuel economy.

Your situation if PERFECT for a Civic hybrid. A Toyota Prius might give you slightly better mileage if that’s your main concern. The Prius can operate for short periods in battery-only mode, which the Civic cannot. The engine in the Civic is always running.

Check out some auto value sites, Edmunds.com, for the market value of the 2006 Civic Hybird. $14K, not sure if that is a deal or not. Remember the '06 is just about 3 to 4 years old. It will need brake fluid flush, and other services that a new car won’t need for awhile.

What kind of engine/AC problems does your Neon have? Have you gotten any quotes for repairs?

The Civic hybrid will be much more reliable than the Neon.

As much as I’d promote Honda/Toyota products, I’d never consider a used hybrid with the next !00,000 not so trouble free miles. I don’t have the confidence in parts and service for the non standardized technology where you have not benefit from the early usage. After 100K, I’d recommend a car with a long term proven record with a larger sample…like non hybrid Civic/Corolla and the like. Your best friend in a high mileage purchase maybe a local mechanic. I’d give him something easy to work on with parts a plenty.

2005 civic hybrid p1431 even when it is cold, the system works intermittent. I can make it but I do notice in live data that of the 3 module ten sensors that 1 and 3 measure around 2.75 consistently sensor 2 measures .41 when it fails. Occasionally it will measure around 2.75 and the entire system works flawlessly. I have replaced the Battery only and same code and problems. Any advice??

Rob, you might want to repost as a new post in maintenance and repairs so more eyes can see this. Tagging it onto a 10 year old post tends to hide it.

3 Likes