Honda Civic 2019 - Sport vs Touring for purpose of 450 watt audio or upgrading audio on sport?

Mustangman,

Sorry about your luck, that’s terrible to hear. I really would like some name brand stuff for sure because that’s the kind of stuff I could forsee happening to me. I mean hell, if I plug too much after market stuff into my cigarette outlet in my car now I blow a fuse…that’s what made my mind thinking about after market being in the stranger danger zone.

1 Like

Volvo,

That’s a good point and I am glad you brought that up. I might have to go by google reviews with some of these places to see if they are legit first.

If money isn’t much of an issue I’d look into the Acura ( luxury Honda basically) for a few grand more could look into something like the ILX. Might have a better audio/sound system over the Civic.

how long do you plan on keeping the car? will you sell car with new stereo or remove it? and do what with parts?

Just a couple things to consider- you’re almost always better off to find a car with a good OEM sound system than to modify one. At some point, you’re probably going to be looking to sell this car. The number of people looking for high powered audio systems will limit your number of prospects. Plus, most people will not want to give one dime more because of some high $ aftermarket gear installed. And if they cut holes to install speakers etc, you can’t remove the system without leaving all kinds of unsightly holes. So you’ll find it harder to sell and likely be giving away the expensive gear to the next owner…

Oops, forgot to mention. You need to consider the point where your audio power consumption begins to compromise the power generating capacity of your vehicle. 38+ amps on a 80 amp alternator is likely to push it over the edge. OEM sound systems have already taken this into account. No need for larger alternators, wiring, fusing etc…

1 Like

The upgrade model has more than just an upgraded stereo system. You have to look at the total package to see if it comes with extras like GPS, larger screen, Alexia or Seri voice activated assist, onstar and/or other goodies. Decide if these additional goodies are things you really want.

The touring may also have other things like a sunroof, better sound proofing, fancy wheels, upgrade interior, maybe with leather. Do you want these too?

About the audio only, you listen to the speakers, not the amps. One upgrade you can do to increase the quality of the audio is to upgrade the speakers. If you get higher quality speakers that have about the same efficiency but with a flatter frequency response curve, you will notice the difference.

Upgrading the speakers can be an issue if you go with very high quality speakers with very flat frequency responses because they are often less efficient and need higher powered amplifiers. But selecting the right speakers can give you better sound for around $500. You can add sound absorbing mats to your vehicle for a few hundred more that will improve the listening environment. That will make the audio sound even better.

Don’t go overboard on the subs either. Most people do. They do not actually improve the quality of your sound system. A sub will only improve the sound quality if it is matched to the other speakers so it extends the frequency response into the lower bass notes without over powering the higher ranges.

1 Like

It might not be on your list, but a Mazda 3 sedan GT will come with a factory Bose system in it and start about $24k. If you opt for the tech package you’ll get SatNav, lane assist and all kinds of nannyware goodies(might help lower insurance a bit, I don’t know) and come to about the cost of the touring Civic. MPG for the 3 is 28/36.

IMO, Mazda makes a better overall vehicle than Honda, for a lower price. But, I’m biased as I’ve owned a Mazda for 9!? years now with few problems.

Is that the out the door price for the Touring? If so, what state are you in? I want Touring because Sport has manually adjusted seats. I cannot get the Touring for less than $29,700.
Me biggest complaint has been the colorblindness or ignorance of what color names mean to the people employed by the manufacturer. "Ivory"is not beige or camel. Have you ever looked at piano keys? They should at least call that light brown seat “Ancient Ivory.”
“Tonic Yellow” is most definitely lime GREEN. I like the color, though, so it is a real shame that it is not available on more models and that it can only be found with a black interior. In Florida, no one I know would ever buy a car with a black interior. It is so overused.

If you like the color why do you even care what they call it ?

I have a Mazda RX8. BEAUTIFUL looking car. Had to replace engine at 37k miles. Now at 90k and needs another engine. Been limping along since 2017 hoping that ANY manufacturer other than Dodge will put out a car in a color other than black, white (have one), shades of grey(been there, done that), blue is for boys, or too dark a red.

Misleading and just stupid. They should know better. And no, other than the Mazda Parchment, I do not like any of the multiple variations of old camel or the putty greys or ugly 1970’s reds. It’s the 21st century, and interiors are duller than dishwasher. You have to look back to the 50s and 60s to find some imagination and beauty. I sit in a car on the highway 2.5 hours a day. If I had to do it in a black hole interior, I would crash. Had the black leather ripped out of my rx8 before driving it off the lot and custom upholstered.

Rotor seals are a well known problem for the RX8. Is that what failed in yours?

Yes, among other things. Motor mounts changed 3 times. Steering wheel shuddered. Engine seems to flood if I drive too fast and don’t go far enough. If I turn off engine and have not driven at least 3 miles, it will not restart, so I have to leave engine running and hope my car won’t get stolen. Also, common problem is the dash on passenger side splits in all directions over the air bag.

I live in Ohio. Here’s a listing of the closest Mazda dealership for all Mazda 3
https://www.byersmazda.com/new-inventory/index.htm?search=&saveFacetState=true&model=Mazda3&normalExteriorColor=&lastFacetInteracted=inventory-listing1-facet-anchor-model-5
Looks like a grand touring model is the most expensive they have at $25k. But that’s sticker price, not out the door price

Better price than in FL. But every one has a black interior. I hate driving in a black hole. Mazda is one of the few manufacturers that offers a light interior that is not camel/tan. The 2019s have not even shown up here yet. Also waiting for the new Mazda 6.

they aren’t even on the Mazdausa website yet either