Honda Civic 2000 Automatic Transmission

My 2000 Civic DX has approx. 55K miles on it. For the past several weeks, the Automatic transmission gear is resisting/sticking about half the time when shifting from Drive to Park and vice versa. (In November 2010 I had a local mechanic-- whom I found on Yelp and who has done other work including replacing the timing belt–replace the ATF, telling him he had to use Honda fluid). What is causing the sticking? Thanks!

Can you clarify your statement, “the Automatic transmission gear is resisting/sticking about half the time when shifting from Drive to Park and vice versa”?

Are you trying to tell us that the shift lever/mechanism is binding or giving resistance when you try to move it from Drive to Park? Since there are no gears involved in this process, it is unclear to me exactly what you are trying to tell us.

It sounds like you’re describing a problem with the interlock mechanism. Some Hondas are under a Recall for this but yours is not. Just because your car is not covered does not mean that it cannot suffer the same problem as a Recalled car.

With tongue in cheek and possibly a heavy dose of sarcasm (not directed at you) I might suggest that it’s difficult to think of a 55k miles Honda actually having a problem.

Since the Recalled vehicles suffered ignition switch problems related to the interlock I might suggest that you have the ignition switch Recall performed (it is an affected vehicle but Recalled for a different reason) and also have the other 4 or 5 Recalls done at the same time.

In response to VDC driver…I guess what I meant to say is that the shift lever mechanism, as you put it is resisting/sticking. thank you for clarifying for me!
And maybe it is the “interlock mechanism” as ok4450 suggested. Thanks to you as well.