Honda check engine light/speedometer/lurch

I have a 1996 Honda Civic 4 door with 128k. last night, as I got home, the check engine light came on. This morning, the odometer, the speedometer, and the trip meter did not work. After I’d gone about 5 miles, the speedometer needle would jump way up and then back to zero (could be tied to hitting bumps) and after about 7 miles, it was sort of lurching once when i accelerated from a stop.

whaddya think?

[b]From what you describe, it sounds like the Vehicle Speed Sensor is defective.

On your vehicle, the VSS not only sends an input signal to the speedometer, but also sends an input signal to the computer. And if the computer gets confused on how fast the vehicle is moving, the engine won’t run right.

Tester[/b]

wait, what’s lurching, the whole car, or just the speedo needle?

Could also be a speedo cable.

the check engine light came on.

That CEL (check engine light) is just a kid in class waving her hand trying to get you attention because she has the answer. You need to have the codes read. Some places will read them for FREE. Try Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts. Get the exact code not just their translation into English and post it back here.

i took it to auto zone and the computer kicked out 6 codes. speed sensor, oxygen 1 sensor, oxygen 2 sensor, something else w/ speed, and I can’t remember the rest.

I took it to the shop today, and left my codes with him.
It’s not so much lurching as the car just doesn’t seem to know what gear it wants to be in.
If I manually shift between d2, d3, and d4, it’s a little better – only mildly possessed.
the day before the check engine light came on, the car was in the shop and my husband and the mechanic were arguing over some warranty repair work pretty heatedly. I have a small niggling fear of sabotage.

What ever happened? We have the same trouble on our 1998 civic. No sabotage here. But identical trouble and same sudden start.