Honda build

Would you like my number? If you have any knowledge on civics I’d appreciate it I’ll send you everything I know about the car.

No. I keep internet dealings fairly anonymous, no offense. :wink: Based on the ad, I agree with the others - this guy has a non-running car that he wants you to just believe runs fine if the key only worked.

If you buy into this, and he’s lying and the thing doesn’t run right, you won’t have any recourse because the car will have been sold as-is, and now you have to figure out how to make it run. It’s very common, btw, for swapped engines to have running problems because people who don’t know what they’re doing attempt the swap by themselves and screw stuff up.

The response should be something along the lines of "Fine - make the key work, show me it runs, and THEN we’ll talk sale. Until then, kindly jump in a lake. "

Regarding performance, the “stanced look” generally involves a lot of negative camber. That not only puts undue wear on things like ball joints, but it also reduces the contact patch of the tire. When you’re trying to go fast, you want as much grip as you can get, and taking away from that grip in the name of appearances is anathema. Not to mention that going fast puts more stress on the car, and you don’t want to be putting more stress on already over-stressed components from stancing it.

1 Like

I have already gone back in forth 200 miles from where I live 3 times to see this car. I’ve paid a mechanic to come out and look at it with me, he had the engine and transmission professionally installed. This isn’t his only car it was his first project car and the guy is pretty mechanically talented seeing his other builds. He’s sent me a receipt list and all the parts have been installed within the past year and a half other than the engine. Again the engine and trans only has about 80k miles with the body at 123. The car is only 2000 and I have the money to work on it since I’ve changed my mind about starting from a shell. Even if the engine was to completely blow up I could replace it

I’ve stated probably 5 times now that the ignition key has been replaced and the car is 100% drivable. I mean no disrespect. I’m new to the car scene as in trying to have my own project car but I know what good and bad looks like plus I’ve had a professional come out with me to check it out

First off the advice you have received thus far is pretty accurate. Kudos to you for wanting to learn about cars. The others are correct when it comes to finances as HP costs money…and it costs a fortune to have someone else make it for you… so its good you want to get your hands dirty, I cant ever fault someone for this spirit.

Insofar as what you will need or what you should buy…there are literally hundreds of Honda enthusiast sites on the net that can and will help you greatly…just do a simple search. They will also know which engines to source according to your build desires. If you are going non boost then you will more than likely wind up with one of the 4cyl 2.4 Accord engines, an H22 or a K20…they can be built for N/A horsepower pretty easily and many of these engines already have forged internals…again…look to the enthusiast sites on which blocks have what and which are best for what… they already know all this information…its old hat to them at this point. Most of these folks favor boost…but there is a dedicated crowd for N/A.

Hell my 96’ Accord with a 94’ Prelude H22 Red Top put out 220hp…Stock… so… You have lots of engines to choose from. Start looking for those websites…there are many.

I’m glad you’ve found a car that seems to meet your needs at this time

I’m sure you’ll have a lot of fun with it . . . and learn something in the process

:+1:

1 Like

I believe the 350 would be much cheaper than the 302 (assuming you mean buying used instead of from Chevrolet). To the best of my knowledge, the 302 Chevrolet engine was only ever used in the Z28 Camaro between 1967 and 1969 (as I recall, the '67 was badged as a 302, not a Z28 - which was the option number), although I could be wrong. This would make it less common and hence, more valuable. The entire line of small block V8s was comprised of: 265, 283, 302, 307, 350 and 400.

327, right?

If you scroll up a little bit I’ve shown some pictures of a car I’m going to be getting. Everyone keeps jumping right no the one thing that’s wrong with it which at the time was the ignition switch which has been replaced already. And the b18 in it as well as the ls trans only has around 80k miles. He sent receipts on all aftermarket upgrades as well. All parts except the motor and tranny have been replaced within a year and a half so all new parts.

At this point my big suspicion is why is that so cheap? If it’s really everything it’s cracked up to be, it should cost more than that. You can sell a bone stock '00 Civic without any goodies and with rust for 2 grand, maybe more. I don’t think it’s worth the actual price paid for the mods, but it’s certainly worth more than a run of the mill ragged out Civic.

I would go over that thing with a fine toothed comb before I bought it. As it’s lowered, make sure to include a very close look at the fuel tank. Cars that low often scrape the tank on speed bumps, and that eventually cracks it and causes a leak. Replacing a gas tank isn’t very much fun.

If everything checks out after a really thorough inspection, then I’d say you’re getting a steal.

Yes I have seen the vehicle you have in mind. I have read each line item and I haven’t read this entire thread or what anyone else is telling you to do. My opinion is to find something else… You can do much better by finding something unmolested that simply will need an engine build / swap. The car you have in mind is not what I would start with…not at all. There are too many reasons why I am saying this to write them down for you. But if you need me to elaborate I will…

Rather than start with the shell of a 20 year old car, I think you’d be better off buying a kit car and assembling it yourself.

If you can do this successfully, then you’ll be ready to take on the kind of project you’re talking about.

I’m curious.

My main issue with it (assuming it is what is portrayed in the ad and the ignition was indeed fixed) is the stupid lowering kit, but OP already said he wants a “stanced” car, so he’s gonna wreck the suspension anyway. :wink:

1 Like

Yeah the gas and oil were my first go to but neither have anything. I had brought a mechanic out with me to check it out I wanted him to mainly look at the engine so the seller let him take it apart. The engine is clean with no leaks and all new seals now. As for the price it may be because it’s his brothers. The car I own right now was given to me also by my older brother for free so I can’t really call that out as a lie cuz it happens. I have about 5k not including the 2k to purchase to use on the car because it’s a project car purpose. I’m not a noob to working on cars mod sorta am to certain modifications and with the right research I won’t need much professional help unless something like an axle (both have been replaced in December 2019) or a transmission then it should be fine. Since the engine checks out I’m hoping anything else in need of replacement won’t hit over 5k especially because I’m going the non boosted route

This point needs to be taken seriously. I, for one, would not likely buy a car whose engine will not start.

I’m throwing the B.S. card on that statement!!

4 Likes

I meant buying a new turn key crate engine, which is what the video was about.

Boi, read all the comments before u respond

Ok. Rude. I went to school with him in a marine service program and when he got out he decided that’s not what he wanted to do and he had knowledge on how engines work and he loves cars so he go more into that, he’s been a mechanic at Elite Auto Care for 3 years in riviera beach Florida you can look it up. He’s a mechanic for Honda’s, Acura’s, Cameros, mustangs, suburus, he does certain trucks to I’m not sure what because it’s not my thing. His names Ryan sheckler. Please don’t call bs before you knowwww

Not calling BS about a friend mechanic. You could of said you took the engine apart to inspect it, and I’d have said the same thing. I’m Calling BS on a seller any seller letting anyone, especially someone that they don’t even know take an engine apart presale.

2 Likes