Honda and the New Diesel Powered Cars

In Europe and the rest of the world Diesel powered cars are the norm, where as in the United States most of our vehicles are gasoline powered. Generally Diesel is a much better for the environment vehicle as the exhaust is not a toxic to humans. Diesels put out CO2, which can be used by trees and plant life, while gasoline engines put out carbon monoxide, which can be much worse and even more dangerous to our human bio systems. which one prefer??

While I drive a diesel, I believe you have overstated the case a bit.

Generally Diesel is a much better for the environment

• That is debatable. I believe it is, but I have never seen a study that covers all the issues.

the exhaust is not a toxic to humans.

• I would not want to breath that exhaust very long. When the exhaust is primarily CO? it also has CO and a mix of hydrocarbons.
[i] Diesels put out CO2, which can be used by trees and plant life[/i]
  • The jury is still out on that one. It will help some plants and not others. There are studies suggesting that in general it may benefit pest plants at the expense of useful plants.
I drive a diesel and overall I believe it is likely (but far from proven) that diesel is overall less harmful.  BUT consider what will happen if we decide to switch to tally to diesel?  Oil as it comes out of the ground is a mix of many hydrocarbons.  The cost of reformulating the gasoline to diesel will add to the pollution as well as adding to the price. 

It is a very complex problem and anyone with basic knowledge of chemistry can come up with a theory to prove whatever they want, but our environment is far too complex to make an accurate calculation. 

I do believe that suggesting that in the future (my grand kids and great grandkids) are going to face some very hard problems due to our aggressive use of our resources.  [b] It's scary.[/b]

“Generally Diesel is a much better for the environment vehicle as the exhaust is not a toxic to humans.”

Are you sure about that? Traditionally diesels produce more emissions than gas vehicles. Why do you think many new diesels require urea injection and/or particulate traps for their exhaust systems and gasoline powered vehicles don’t? The “Not toxic to humans” statement is completely asinine and hilarious at the same time.

“Diesels put out CO2, which can be used by trees and plant life, while gasoline engines put out carbon monoxide”

All internal combustion engines put out C02, the type of fuel doesn’t matter much. Same deal with carbon monoxide, though theoretically an ICE in an absolutely perfect state of tune, with absolutely pure fuel will not produce any carbon monoxide, mankind has not achieved this though.

I question the OP’s knowledge on the subject.

I agree with FoDaddy about the OP’s knowledge on this topic.

Just because the emissions from a diesel engine are somewhat different from the emissions of gasoline engines, that does not mean the diesel’s emissions are “not toxic to humans”. In addition to CO and hydrocarbons, the particulate matter from diesels is not particularly pleasant for anyone with respiratory problems.

I suspect that the OP’s knowledge of diesel emissions is on a par with Ronald Reagan’s knowledge of gasoline engine emissions. Am I the only one who recalls his statement that, “Trees emit more pollution than gasoline engines”? The best response to that bizarre statement came from the president of the Sierra Club, who offered to lock himself in a small room with a tree if Mr. Reagan would lock himself in a small room with a car whose engine was running. Apparently Mr. Reagan opted to not accept the challenge.

Generally Diesel is a much better for the environment

• That is debatable. I believe it is, but I have never seen a study that covers all the issues.

That is definitely an overstatement by the OP. Diesel exhaust has particulate matter, which can damage respiratory systems in people and animals. Increasing refining standards has reduced the particulate matter, but it is still there in the exhaust. It is toxic to humans.

Back in the dark years of the Domestic auto industry they tried miserable incarnations of diesel engines that were basically adapted gasoline motors. Our auto industry had a hard enough time making reliable gasoline engines at the time. They failed miserably in reliability, longevity and execution. Unfortunately the US has not forgotten nor really made any attempt by domestic industry to correct the perception.

Lastly incentives exist to make diesel fuel attractive in EU. In the US our government makes gasoline attractive.

I drove a Honda Accord Estate(aka Acura TSX wagon) diesel on my honeymoon all over France. Incredible car and engine. I doubt it will make it here.

It will take a niche maker like Subaru or Europeans to introduce them over and give the small subset of customers interested.

Motor vehicle fuel taxes in some European countries such as Germany are lower on diesel, therefore encouraging the use of diesel cars.

Yep, the EU’s now getting rid of the favorable treatment of diesel by equalizing gas and diesel taxes, and they expect diesel vehicle sales to drop as a result.

Generally Diesel is a much better for the environment vehicle as the exhaust is not a toxic to humans.

Where did you get this data, please?

Diesels are more efficient users of fuel, but are generally regarded as far dirtier than gassers, particularly W/R/T particulate emissions. That’s why public fleets (like buses) go through the effort to convert to CNG from diesel: they sacrifice some efficiency for cleaner air.