Honda Accord Starting problem

My 1993 Accord EX sedan won’t start after it’s been sitting in the hot sun all day. Once it cools down, it starts right up. Any suggestions? thank you!

The symptoms you describe are classic for a bad Main Relay. The fuel pump relay is part of the main relay and when it fails to work you have no fuel pressure. It is located under the dash on the driver’s side.

Replacements are available either at a dealer or aftermarket.

thank you. my father suggested that too. is this something i need a mechanic to do? or should i be able to do it myself?

You can do it yourself. The trickiest part is to find it and reach it. It is usually held on by a bracket with one or two bolts. You might have to move some other wire bundles or other obstructions out of the way.

Here is a link to help you find the main relay in your car as well as what it looks like: Click here.

A can of freeze spray from Radio Shack can help you find heat related problems. I’m narrowing down a problem now and got it to start yesterday after spraying the main relay, then the ignition switch. Finally, after spraying the distributor it fired right up. Going to try spraying the distributor only today to confirm that the problem is in that area. I’ve heard the CKP sensor can be the problem. It is very intermittent to this point. I did find cold solder joints on my relay, I re-flowed them, but still have the same symptom. See tegger.com for great instructions and photos. Good luck!

Brian,

Did you ever fix this problem? If so, what did you end up finding was the cause?

Thanks, Jim