"Hole" on transmission

Saw this “hole” on top of the transmission that has a solid bottom (it doesn not go into the engine/transmission). It’s not the dipstick hole. Should there be a plug to prevent oil from gathering? Hole is not easily accessible/viewable. I saw it after talking off the distributor cap.

Car is a 2000 Honda Accord, 4 Cylinder.

Video of the hole

Bore scope video

It sort of looks like where a vehicle speed sensor might go. Does the car’s speedometer seem to work? Is the check engine light on? It could be the fill port for refilling the transmission fluid too, but don’t pour any transmission fluid in there until you know for sure. Does your car have an automatic or manual transmission?

You can see the hole with the transmission out of the car in this image.

It’s in the differential part of the transmission.

Since it’s a blind hole, it may have been used to assemble the transmission and then plugged.

I wouldn’t worry about it.

Tester

3 Likes

Or in another type Honda it was used.

Or it was there to locate the case in the machine that cut the machined surfaces on the case.

Just leave it be.

That is where the speedometer cable or VSS (vehicle speed sensor) was located at one time before being relocated through the years, they just didn’t change that part of the Transaxle, the trans is split (bell housing, case, and rear cover) and the case is the updated section and they just reused the bell housing part of the transaxle, but didn’t machine the hole (left it as cast), as it is no longer used on that model to (probably) save money…

So as already said, nothing to worry about…

https://www.wittrans.com/img/diagrams/111/111.jpg

1 Like

Is it tapered to make ice push up and out to prevent water from getting in there and freezing causing it to crack?

I put the chance of that near zero, given the heat and vibration, along with the lack of water in that area.

2 Likes