Highway tires still made? Prefer fuel economy to M&S tires

Toyota Camry, purchased last April, now at 115k. Will soon need its third set of Michelin 205 65R 16 Energy saver tires.
Would highway tires have less rolling resistance than M&S tires?
But everthing sold here is M&S. (For snow 4WD Expedition is available.)

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

They’re called “summer” tires, and Tirerack lists a plentiful selection.
They also sell “low rolling resistance” tires as well.

Why don’t we have an ignore button.

All M&S means is that something like 25% of the tread pattern area is void or open. It doesn’t mean a tire is going to perform exceptionally well in snow or mud though. Basically it just means it’s ostensibly, an all season tire. There are plenty of M&S rated low rolling resistance tires though.

I have trouble believing that all tire shops sell nothing but ‘M&S’ tires for Camrys in your area. What tire do you now have? I didn’t think ‘Energy Saver’ was a Michelin model name.

A tire’s rolling resistance is about 90% controlled by the tread compound - the kind of tread rubber and how much is used. The type of tire - All Season, All Terrain, Highway, etc - does NOT have much effect - except to say that some types of tires use more tread rubber (ala All Terrain and Winter).

• AND -

In order to get a low RR, either the treadwear or the traction has to be sacrificed (sometimes both!). The tires that get the lowest rolling resistance are the OE tires - the tires that come on new cars - and that’s why OE tires have such a bad reputation. It isn’t because they are cheap (they are NOT inexpensive, nor made using short cuts), it’s because the tread compound is designed to meet the car manufacturers requirements, which emphasizes low RR, and not wear.

However, there are some tires designated with “LRR” - Low Rolling Resistance - but that is a relative term. It means better fuel economy compared to tires with similar wear and traction characteristics. In some respects, the term is misleading because tires with truly low RR WILL sacrifice treadwear and/or traction - and it is possible to have a tire with lower RR than a tire with a LRR label.

If the gang wants, I can explain why the government has not yet demanded that a tire’s RR be designated in some way, like they have for traction, and treadwear.

Never heard of a “Summer” tire.
Seems that Highway tire treads, whose tread “gaps” appeared much tighter than M&S tire treads would have less rolling resistance.

I, for one would like to hear @CapriRacer’s explanation on the gov response to RR. I’ve had 3 sets of the same model tire on my truck with similar results on MPG’s. The OEM set, a 2nd and 3rd with “updated” specs. I’d like better MPG’s but there is essentially no way to compare tire models.

Robert, spend an hour or so on the tire rack web site, all your questions will be answered…

Thank you, all.
Tire rack says Continental True Contact LRR is better than the Michelin Energy Saver which came on the Camry. Michelin is 50k, 23lbs., $121. Continental 90K, 21lbs., $98
Now on the way on a 530-mile blood transport.

tirerack.com is a great site for comparative data on tires, and I have found them a very reliable company to buy tires from, especially if the tires I choose are not stocked by a local dealer.

Another good info source is any November issue of Consumer Reports, and their annual Buying Guide .

I just checked Tire Rack, looks like most ‘all season’ tires have an ‘M+S’ on the side wall. I wouldn’t worry about that, they are certainly ‘highway tires’.

Highway tires in the past had very narrow spaces between rubber. Less traction in mud and snow but supposedly better fuel economy and mileage.

RR outside sidewall somehow become cut and blew out a few blocks later when I made a lefturn.
Did someone knife the tire when parked at the hospital? DiscounTire says no. It would have been flat. I do not know how I could have backed into something which lacerated the sidewall.

Only enough time to put on a Continental 215 65R 16. They did not have the True Contact tires wanted.
Will install the remaining tires when an opportunity.
Now to bed.

Road debris can cut a tire anywhere and it may not even be noticeable to the driver when it happens.

I watch what the tires will be rolling over.
Wish I had time to examine the tire.
Did it happen while backing and turning the back of the car to the right in their parking lot?