I’m experiencing a strange issue with my 2010 Mazda6 that is extremely unsettling on a day-to-day basis. When I’m at very low RPMs and foot off the gas my RPMs jump insanely high when turning the steering wheel causing me to panic brake. I have no idea what’s going on.
- My regular RPMs when idling is around 700
- When I’m in Drive or Reverse with my foot off the gas, RPMs go up slightly to around 750 (normal expectation)
- But if I turn my steering wheel in either direction, very often the RPMs spike up to 1500 causing the car to jump. Although this NEVER happens if my steering wheel remains straightened out.
- For some reason this is more prominent when the car is on an incline (ie, hill, parking garage…etc)
- This has also occurred when I’m in Neutral as well and I start moving my steering around, spikes up to 1500
I understand that it is entirely normal for the ECU to increase RPMs a bit when turning the steering wheel, but not to this insane level. Anyone have any advice/suggestions for me? Thanks!