Hi everyone!

There was no internet when I bought my first car. It wouldn’t have helped. I bought a 1965 Ford Fairlane in 1973 and it was missing a few things. There were 8-track players in 73 but my car didn’t have back-up lights or windshield washer. The wipers had only one speed. The main problem was the driver. Don’t have that problem is good advice.

When budgeting for your car purchase remember you have to cover the sales tax, registration, car license, and insurance!!!

It helps also to factor in the first couple years standard maintenance for oil changes, tire rotations, and any other maintenance in the owner’s manual you will need based on time and mileage.

Also, compute your expected weekly / monthly / yearly mileage plus perhaps 10% to 20% more. Note the price of gas in your area at its most expensive has been averaging for the past year. From those two, mileage and gas prices, you can compute a cost range for driving based on the miles per gallon any given model car averages getting. That average MPG is in the info you can look up about the specs of vehicles.

If you are taking out a car loan, be sure to factor the loan interest rate into your budget.

Additionally, beware of last minute dealer fees typically piled on or pressure to buy extended warranties which are a waste of money on new cars and usually even on used cars.

If you are buying a used car, have a mechanic other than at your place of purchase check its condition and give you an estimate of its condition, any issues that need maintenance or repair and estimated costs for such. The pre-purchase exam is worth the $100 or so!

Once you know your budget and start adding up all the full costs. – car price, tax, registration and license, insurance, basic maintenance, gas, loan interest – you will have a clearer idea of the price range you can afford. By staying in budget you will be able to fully maintain and use your car well such you get long, reliable use that will truly save you money in the long run.

It’s easy to get insurance costs by asking your insurance agent for comparative rates on various models you are considering. Some insurance companies have a calculator for that on their website. The sales tax rate, registration and license tag cost info is available online from your respective state government website.

Knowing how much you can afford is just as important as thinking about what type and size vehicle you need, what features are best for your needs, etc. For your first car, think basic and budget and safety. If buying used, you are usually better to buy a smaller basic newer car with less wear and tear on the car than buying a bigger but older car with more miles and wear. That gets back to long term reliability and maintenance / repair costs and safety.

Hope these suggestions help. Good luck and happy motoring. :grinning:

1 Like

I hope you understand a new member who has yet to own their first motor vehicle is highly unlikely to recognize totally off the wall random sarcasm.

1 Like

I can’t believe that anyone took my first comment seriously. Subtle irony may have been missed, but my comment was obvious. When self-driving cars are the rule, they’ll ban all we dangerous DIYers the way we ban drunks now, we’ll have to go out to the country to drive on private lots.

you certainly chose an appropriate screen name

For an ironist. + I photosynthesize: I offset my emissions: I’m carbon-neutral!

Ironist, somebody who likes to iron, take my wife… Me cartographer take pictures of cars :grin: