Hi and Happy New Year. Suggestions needed with a 2010 Toyota Corolla with 3 knocks from back passenger tire area when turning left from a stop

Hi. I have a 2010 Toyota Corolla that makes three knocking sounds from my back passenger tire area when I make a left turn from a dead stop. The dealer said it was a hard spot on the rotor and replaced it but it still makes the sounds. Any suggestions? TY :slight_smile:

I suspect the dealer shop just didn’t want to bother, so they changed something. Anything. I strongly recommend finding a reputable independent shop to look at it.

I also recommend not assuming that it’s coming from the rear. Sounds can be very deceptive as regards their point of origin, and it could be an inner CV joint.

Other possibilities include the always-favorite bushings. And/or shock mounts.
Or struts (specifically the shock absorber part).
I’ve attached a diagram of your rear suspension to show that there are a number of possibilities. Unfortunately, I can’t diagnose it from here, it needs to be done hands-on. But a reputable shop that’s interesting in doing so should be able to help you.

1 Like

Could be a sway bar link

1 Like

Good thought, but I don’t believe this design uses a rear sway bar.

1 Like

Thank you very much for your suggestion and information :slight_smile:

Something must be loose back there. But before assuming it is a problem with the car’s parts, make sure it isn’t something loose in the trunk area. One time a golf ball got loose in my Corolla and rolled into a little recess in the trunk area near the wheel well and was making a knocking sound like that. Suggest to remove everything from the trunk and back seat area, and if your Corolla has a spare tire under the floor of the trunk, check there too for anything loose. You might get lucky.

2 Likes

Thank you, I will look into that. I appreciate your information.

Thank you for the suggestions :slight_smile:

Did you not ask why you still had the knock after the repair?

Then I’m extremely disappointed in Toyota

My 1995 Corolla had a rear sway bar . . . and it wasn’t top of the line

Perhaps Toyota has seen fit to dumb down its models, because it feels people won’t notice . . . ?

Some other possibilities to consider. If you have drum brakes in the back, sometimes the springs don’t pull the shoes back after you let off the brake, Then when you go to start up again, the shoe temporarily binds against the drum and makes a clunking/bumping sound. A wheel bearing might also be a possibility, but I don’t know if I’d describe the sound as a knock.

It’s just a different design approach. Nothing more, nothing less.
Your '95 Corolla had independent rear suspension rather than a solid rear beam. It needed a sway bar.

And because if its fully independent rear suspension, your '95 also rode a lot better. The solid axle beam doesn’t separate the bumps felt by one side from creating a reaction on the other side!

You’re absolutely correct , and that was a great explanation!

And that’s why I’m disappointed in Toyota

According to your own description and the pictures, they did indeed dumb down the product, as I suggested

I think Hyundai and Nissan also did that with their small cars at some point

Only gearheads, such as ourselves, would crawl underneath the car and recognize and/or appreciate an independent suspension and sway bar, versus semi-independent, or what have you

As for the newer generation Corolla having a worse ride than mine . . . Toyota probably figures customers buying a small car don’t expect a “sophisticated” suspension and a great ride

My Camry has the same suspension design as the second picture, fully independent, and with a sway bar

Something is loose under the rear. I would have them first check stabilizer bar links, exhaust hangers. It’s easy for the first mentioned stuff to break or come loose from potholes, etc. Struts and suspension bushings should be checked too.

1 Like

Great comments, db. I agree with every one of them.
I made the mistake of buying a new Corolla in 2005 and the ride was crippling me. I had to trade it after only two months. It’s unfortunately that manufacturers don’t seem to think that a decent ride is worth the cost in small cars. But every small car I’ve tested rode hard. Some, the BMW Mini and the Scion xA and xB (in 2005) were harder than the Corolla. I understand the effects of lighter weight and shorter wheelbases, but I swear my '76 Corolla and my '82 Civic, both considerably smaller than a modern Corolla, rode much better than the new Corollas. And my '05 tC rides much, much better than the '05 Corolla, and I don’t think the weight or wheelbase are that much different.

Well, we don’t all have the same bad back

my bad back is okay with my Camry, or my former Corolla, which we’ve been talking about

But it’s not okay with brother’s Mazda 3, which I consider to be a bone jarring ride

My gf has an early 2000’s Corolla, and I definitely notice that car’s ride being more harsh than my own Corolla similar to db’s vintage. I had thought it was b/c of the front suspension though. I pushed down on the front corner of her car one time and it is noticeably stiffer than pushing on the front corner of earlier vintage Corolla. But maybe the harsher ride sensation is really b/c of the difference in the rear suspension. One disadvantage of my own vintage Corolla though is that it tends to handle a little more like a marshmallow than I prefer. Soft ride, yes, but a little too imprecise & leaning during turns. Hey, life’s a compromise … lol …

You sure your struts and springs aren’t worn out . . . ?

They sure feel like it. Or are you talking about my Corolla? … lol …

1 Like

Yeah, I’m talking about YOUR Corolla

The way you described the ride, it sounded like your suspension components may be all tuckered out :wink: