Help

my 2001 Dodge Neon, stalls once a night during my 300 mile delivery route, engine just quits “like shutting off a light” only when in gear and stopped like at a traffic signal, it does start right up again. Before this started happening the engine would “surge” at a traffic signal. Pep Boys said the pcm needed reprogrammed, my local Dodge dealer says this has already been done and they cannot do it again, even though I have had the car since new and have never had anything like this done to it. Dodge dealer says nothing is wrong with the car, as far as they can tell.

It’s time to ask around and find a better independent repair shop. Sometimes, w.o.m. (word of mouth) is pretty good stuff. These components could benefit from cleaning: the MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor, the iac (idle air control) valve, the throttle plate and throttle throat. Use two sprays. Use an MAF spray cleaner, and a throttle body spray cleaner. Take off the air cleaner and housing. Spray inside the black plastic intake tube onto the MAF. Take off the rest of the black plastic intake tube. Spray the other cleaner into the aluminum throttle body. Run the engine. If it still stalls, sometimes, the iac valve may need to be removed and its pintle carefully cleaned.