[Help with Educational Guidelines]

The design path is described in the Society of Automotive Engineers web site, www.SAE.org . That’s where you’ll need the 4 year engineering degree, including lots of math and science.

The ‘work on it’ path can be found by googling ‘automotive technician’, and includes auto repair (engine, transmission, crash repair, bodywork), custom work, race car support, etc, etc, as many have described above. This take a 2 year degree typically, and lots of emphasis on electronics these days.

One thing I’d avoid: the ‘for profit’ tech schools that promise the moon but deliver very little, at huge cost. In the US there are local community colleges supported by local/state government. Anything like that in Trinidad?

p.s. - one of my college roommates was from Trinidad, great guy.

@texases I won’t rely on education in Trinidad, not that it is bad. It’s because I want to explore other countries etc so that might come into a play with my education.

Other commenters have offered some very good advice but here’s some specific steps you need to take:

1. Research and understand the differences between the British and US higher education systems so you understand and can clearly explain to your parents each system and how they relate.

2. Part of the decision has to be about money so it’s very important that you include this in your research and discussions with your parents.

And if you’ve done a through job of your research, you’ll probably begin to realize that it’s not a question of “Engineering OR Law” or “US OR Global” higher education and with some planning, you can actually do BOTH; which combine to create a very powerful educational background.