Help My Honda!

My 98 honda civic (automatic) makes a rattle sound from the front of the car when it shifts (accelerating) it doesn’t seem to cause any problems but I would like to know if it’s a problem and should get it checked out?

I would start with the heat shields around the exhaust manifold/catalytic converter (one piece).

Thanx I’ll get it checked out but you don’t think it has anything to do with the transmission?

Based on what you said, the heat shields are a good place to start. We can’t know for sure without seeing the vehicle, or getting a lot more detail about the problem (like where, exactly, the sound is coming from.)

“…don’t think it has anything to do with the transmission?”

Not necessarily. Sometimes the heat shields only vibrate when something particular happens in the engine compartment, like a gear shift, for example. Sometimes the heat shields only rattle when the engine is at a particular range of RPMs. Sympathetic vibration can happen for a variety of reasons.

There are other heat shields it could be too, but based on the fact that you think it is coming from the front of the car, the ones around the catalytic converter would be the first ones I would check.

Just in case, you should check the level and condition (color) or the transmission fluid. Is it red or brown? Is it low? When is the last time you had the transmission fluid changed?

Automatic transmissions on the 6th generation Civic (the one you have) were not known for their reliability and longevity, so this one should be babied. I would have the fluid changed every 30,000 miles, irrespective of what the owner’s manual says.

I just had the transmission fluid changed on monday so I’ll have the heat shield looked at , thanks again!