HELP me pick a used car! 1998 BMW 528i vs. 2002 Ford Mustang

I always get really scared when I see a BMW or similar high end car with all the sporty modifications such as big rims, spoilers, blacked out trim, angel eyes, etc.–for some reason, warranted or not, it suggests to me that the car’s been hot rodded or driven hard. One of my close friends owned a '96 328i that he kept in BEAUTIFUL condition (and had a looong list of such modifications), but participated in autocross events on the weekends. Once the car got to about 175k he offered it to me “for a song” but he and I both knew the car was used up–even though it still had that BMW ride.

Also, intentional or not, the ad says “the motor has 173k” – read literally, this suggests the motor has been swapped at some point. Possibly just sloppy writing on the poster’s part, but if he’s an enthusiast he should know better.

I don’t follow 5 Series pricing, but $5k seems low. I’d proceed with caution–accident history? previous blown motor (see above)? slipping trans? etc. etc.

If you search long enough you might find an E30 (80s 3 series) or E36 (90s 3 series) convertible in the same price range. All the same maintenance issues apply (plus maintaining a convertible top) but if you’re interested in a convertible it’s best of both worlds.

limited budget = stay the **** away from European model vehicles.

Find something boring like a Crown Victoria or Taurus until you can afford a more expensive vehicle.

I’ve owned all the German brand cars except an Audi, with over 500,000 collective miles on them, and I have one in my garage right now. IMHO you have got to be rich or absolutely freakin’ crazy to buy one outside the warranty. They can destroy your budget with maintenance and repair costs. Although they have a decent image and are generally nice to drive, and this BMW might last forever on nothing but oil changes, most German cars are not for those with thin wallets who don’t enjoy automotive financial surprises.

OK fine guysssssssss. I get it lol…not going to buy a BMW.

Anyway the Mustang I wanted was sold too since I stalled around too long :frowning: I coulda gotten it for $4k, which was a great price, wish I had grabbed it. Now the hunt begins again…sigh…

oh, and Volkswagen…does that fall under the same umbrella as BMW as too expensive to repair/maintain? I’ve seen some decent priced Cabrios and Jettas…but I’m guessing I should stick to Japanese or if not American?

I’m not even gunna ask about an Audi A4 either, I think I already know the answer. Ugh, I just don’t want a Toyota Corolla or Honda Civic, I’m a 25 year old guy in LA working in the music industry…I want something that will reflect my personality a little!

If you work in the music industry, drive up in something your employer can “depend” on. Let the color reflect your personality, let the make reflect your real transportation needs. A car isn’t a hat or a hair cut…it’s a commodity you depend on. You wouldn’t “eat” only what reflected your personality and die too early in life from coronary heart disease. I wouldn’t buy only what reflected my personality in a car and be left stranded and drain my bank account. That will get old, fast. Most people really don’t give a “s…” what you drive…they only care that you are where you are suppose to be…on time.
Take a couple of bucks from your 5 k and buy a CR auto addition buyers guide…if being well informed matches your personality type. I’m sure it does.

Express yourself with your clothing. No one but you cares what kind of car you drive.

I hear you about wanting to drive something with a little character. With some searching and creative thinking you can find something reliable AND fun.

By the way, yes, this board sees hundreds of complaints from older VW owners and people considering buying used VWs, and the regulars here never recommend owning or buying a 90s-early 00s VW. You may or may not know this, but VW and Audi are under the same corporate ownership and share some technologies. (Ever notice that the VW Jetta and Audi A4 both come with a 2.0T engine?)

Are you a musician or do you just work in the industry? In the case of the former and you haul around music gear, you can find late 90s Jeep Cherokees and Grand Cherokees all day long in your price range. They have the “cool” factor because they’re SUVs, but have solid, straightforward drivetrains, they’re comparably cheap to repair, and they aren’t TOO horrible on gas. You can also pick up a late 90s Accord, which I know is “reliable transportation” but actually can be kind of fun especially if you find one with a manual trans…but bad idea for LA. The 2 door is a pretty neat little car, too. An UNDERSTATED set of aftermarket wheels, if you like, can add a little pizazz. Just throwing out random ideas as food for thought…

Oh, and if you liked the mustang, you can find V6 hardtops anywhere–just keep looking. They’re also old technology (which is good…tried and true, and tend to be cheaper to repair), and they’re straightforward and can be very reliable. Whatever you buy, make an inspection by a qualified independent mechanic of your choice (and your cost) a part of any deal.

While you continue shopping, be aware of one hard-earned lesson I learned…not to judge a used car in another climate the same way yuo would at home. Cars in southern California, especially of they’re garaged, don;t age the same way that cars in NYC do. They maintain their showroom looks and age mechanically in hidden ways. Between that and California’s emissions standards, it’s critical that any vehicle you consider get a good thorough going-over by a good shop.

Sincere best.

Is a 2-seater OK? Take a look at a 2000 to 2002 Toyota MR2 Spyder. It’s in your price range and gets great mileage. But more than anything, find something in excellent condition. For a 10 year old car, condition is far more important than the brand.

A 2 seater is fine. Having back seats is preferred, but if I could get a 2000 or 2002 MR2 Spyder for my price range I’d jump all over it. I’ve seen a few for 6000 which I considered, but then I found out they were salvage titles. I would prefer not to mess around with salvage titles if possible. Also looked at Scion tCs, they’re sporty and supposed to be super reliable. But again…out of my price range.

OK…how about a 2002 Toyota Prius? The Kelly Blue Book is lower than the Mustang, and I am a little worried the battery might fail and be expensive to replace, but a Prius is a Toyota and gets 37 MPG and is supposed to be reliable right? Plus I can feel smug and act douchey whenever I drive past someone in an SUV. (joking, of course)

Again, you already know what you are up against with the Prius. The battery WILL fail. It is a question of “when” not “if”.

If it gets 37mpg then it has some problems. These cars should easily get 45 if they are running properly.

The Prius battery can be reconditioned at far less cost than replacing it.

I would look at other choices if you can. If not I would pick the mustang. Reason lower maintenance costs!

So the OP is considering a Prius, which means sexy and style are out.
This opens many new possibilities.

I mean…if I’m not going to go for a “nice” car, might as well get the most MPG I guess.

Figure out what you want in detail without thinking about specific cars. How many passengers? What mileage? Manual or auto transmission? Front, rear or AWD drive? Is good handling important? Coupe, sedan, wagon, or SUV? Once you have a list of your requirements, the things that are nice to have, and the ones you don’t car about, start looking for cars that meet you needs.

^^ this has been done already by me

OK. It just seemed that you weren’t focused when you switched from the Bimmer and Mustang to the Prius. I’d go for the newest car I could get in excellent condition for your money. Of course, this might mean a Cavalier, Rio, or Focus, but the newer means fewer repairs when you campare a 5 year old car agains a 10 year old car if the condition is the same.