Help me from going insane!

I am the owner of a 1995 Saab 9000 CSE Turbo. I purchased this car a year ago and have enjoyed it up until now! The blower motor for the cabin stopped working out of the blue. I have talked with a friend that is a mechanic and we tried to trouble shoot the problem. The motor fan works only if I “jump” it to the battery. I have replaced the blower motor resistor which was what my friend thought to be the problem. It did not solve the problem. After doing further research on-line, I found that the Automatic Climate Control will give error codes when two buttons are pushed. I have gotten an error code that says that the cabin fan temperature sensor is faulty. I have since replaced that part and still have no cabin fan. I do get heat or A/C but no fan to blow around the air. The Automatic Climate Control does act as normal. I am at a loss and would like some advice as fall and winter are coming and I need to have the heat and defrost features as I live in Michigan. Please help!

Thanks,

Brandon

A meter and a few minutes and a wiring diagram will allow you to trace where the power stops. I would guess there may be a relay somewhere, or that automatic climate control is going crazy. They seem to do that a lot more than I would like. Glad I don’t have one.

Things are never simple with Automatic Climate Control. You have a plethora of sensors and solid-state devices so troubleshooting is a job for the Saab experts. You can fumble around some more, take it to a Saab dealership, or simple hotwire the fan to a separate switch.

I assume you have checked the fuse for the motor already. There may be a bad relay in the circuit that is the cause of this trouble. Having a test light probe at least to check for power is really necessary for this kind of trouble. Otherwise it is a guessing game.

A look at Saab “Parts & Service Information” Issue: 10/95-633 is a 6 page bulletin on “Subject: Correcting Complaint of Failed Fan Control/Fan Resistor” covers your problem. A sluggish ventilation fan can draw excessive current. A “New fan control, with load cut-out, turns off the ventilation fan under certain driving conditions.”

Use the bulletin to check the ventilation fan amperage draw, and go from there.

I have gotten an error code that says that the cabin fan temperature sensor is faulty. I have since replaced that part and still have no cabin fan.

So the error code is no longer being displayed?