Help - can't get title to car I purchased

In most states dealers have 30 days to produce a clear title. They sell cars before they get the titles all the time. Say the individual who traded the car to a new make dealership had the car financed. The new car dealer has to pay off the original loan and secure the lien release from the original lender. Worse yet, suppose the former owner has lost his title and has to get a duplicate from the state, THEN get it to the dealer he traded it in to. THEN that dealer has to get the lein released. I’ve waited up to six weeks to get a title. It happens.

Granted billy’s dealer has not complied with the law, but be sure he really wants to lest he lose his license. Reading on down this thread, it looks like he may have his title soon.

Now why is his 30 day permit just now expiring if he bought the car six months ago?

I read 5/07 and missed the Dec. for some reason. The dealer still has until 1/4/08 to furnish you a merchantable title. HE probably had to pay Saab for it before they’d send it to him. Calm down. It’s coming.

a coulpe things. if it was a lease and turned in at the dealer. the dealer would pay leasing company for car. if the person who leased the car and money was owed on lease. the leasing company will not turn over title until the person who leased the car pays his bill. some one is holding up lease. contact leasing company. I would give them 24 hours to fix this problem. I have seen this problem when dealers take money and run out of town do not wait or the car will taken from you by the police. or dealer go bankrupt. then you use every thing. did you talk to your bank about this. My daughter bought a car from used car lot and. the dealer never got the title. he had car on lot and sold it but he never got the title from old owner. he was given a story from old owner. the dealer was fined for selling a car with open title.the problem
she had two days after she got the car there was problem and it crashed turning over five times on the hwy.her the baby had was hurt very badly. luckly for us we found an ins card from from old owner. and got the straight story. do not wait you could be trouble if you have an accident. this car is not titled to you no matter what you think. now that you know this you will in the wrong for driving this car stop driving it today. we found out the old owner was friend of the sales man and they both knew of problem and just wanted to dump car for his friend. they both told on each other at the trial. my daughter has bad leg for life. and got zip the dealer went bankrupt and old onwer clained the same.

PHEW! Received title in the mail today! In the meantime, spoke w/ VA dealers commission - very helpful and ready to assist. In VA, dealers have 30 days (apparently they can sell w/o technically holding title, but if they don’t get it to u w/in 30 days u can return the car for a refund.) Thanks for all the posts replying. If any advice to avoid this in future, just ask to see copy of title upfront. I did this, but let go after dealer claimed it was in bank vault, no one ever asks to see title, etc. Just better sticking w/ gut feeling.

PHEW! Received title in the mail today! In the meantime, spoke w/ VA dealers commission - very helpful and ready to assist. In VA, dealers have 30 days (apparently they can sell w/o technically holding title, but if they don’t get it to u w/in 30 days u can return the car for a refund.) Thanks for all the posts replying. If any advice to avoid this in future, just ask to see copy of title upfront. I did this, but let go after dealer claimed it was in bank vault, no one ever asks to see title, etc. Just better sticking w/ gut feeling.

Great! You can enjoy your Saab even more now that this ordeal is over. Do you think that you can weasel an oil change or two out of the for pain and suffering? ;^)

Not unless I’m up for the 500 mile drive back to the dealer in VA –
mmm…pass.
in the meantime, I do think the car is a blast to drive. Even the paddle shifting which I thought was silly at first is actually pretty fun for running the motor. Just buggy changing gears when turning at the same time.

Glad it worked out for you…Good luck with your new car…You’ll probably enjoy it more.