Guys, help me out, please — First of all I’ve been kind of stupid to have bought this car in the first place because I asked for a copy of the title before I bought the car and I had an inkling that the it was kind of odd. But I loved the car so much that I decided to take the chance. Man, am I regretting the decision now?
Now the issue is - I bought this car from NY. The car had an Oklahoma title. The NY owner did not register the car because he himself was a car-dealer and was using this dealer-plate to run the car around, though he used the car for his personal use. In the title it says it was initially transferred to the NY dealership and in the re-assignment column he put my details, which seems all right me. In short, it was like buying the car from a second-hand dealer. The next day, I went to the DMV and tried to register the car in my name. Here starts the problem, the clerk sitting at the counter either had a very bad day or did not like me at all, he put the title under a microscope (literally) and declared that the odometer reading in the title seems to be altered. Well, in fact one of the number was a bit thick and written over (you know when we write with a dry pen and it don’t write clearly some digits and then you overwrite it). He said that voided out the title and I needed to get a new title. I went back to the seller and asked him to get a new title. He said he would fix everything and would get me a new title within 2 weeks. But it had been more than 4 weeks since and he has been saying he is in the process of getting a NY title only in his dealerships name. I have got a feeling that he doesn’t want the car back (though he said he would get my money back if he couldn’t get a clear title). Every time I contact him he says that he is waiting for the new title.
I know I am in trouble, but how deep- Will I be able to get a title at all? Is there a process to get a title only in NY, like the seller says? If it does, how long will it take? He said he put in an application for a ‘Rushed Title’ (whatever that means) and it would not take more than 2 weeks. What are the legal options available to me?
Note – I have verified that the car is clean; it is not stolen, no accidents/salvage, no lien.