Help! Brought my car in to shop for flat tire - picked it up with engine problems!

The regular factory warranty is expired but I guess this falls under the powertrain/extended warranty.

5yr/60k warranty on timing chain. Seems it is recommended to replace motor if failure occurs. According to Internet info.

Interesting. On my Pontiac it had a 36K bumper to bumper, 70K emissions which included a lot, and 100K power train. Anything that touches oil or trans fluid was covered for 100K which would include the timing chain. Really hard to beat that type of coverage. Just remember though you get the same warranty with a new owned car as you do with a new leased car. Leasing has no bearing on the warranty and contrary to one person here, IT IS MORE EXPENSIVE.

A TSB on this problem shows a chain tensioner fault may be the root cause. The tensioner piston is designed to basically lock in an extended position and not retract. If it does retract the chain jumps or breaks and engine damage is the end result.
An inspection of the tensioner should clearly show if that’s the cause or if it’s oil related.

VW could have used a simple spring in the tensioner and avoided all of this…

i do not know if owner must provide proof of required service such as oil changes during warranty period. unless VW has so many complaints on timing chain failures for the motor that they just fix them IF the car is under the mileage limit.