HELP! 2004 Ford Ranger 3.0 4x4 with 52k POWER STEERING NOISE!

Is the filter removable, or permanent? I am sure to check when vehicle returns from dealer. One other question . My manual says use only Ford Mercon (ATF) fluid (which is what dealer used I’m sure) but others say use only synthetic fluid, one reason the ATF creates and traps to much air in system. Just some thoughts on that. Thanks, MARK US ARMY VETERAN

POSTSCRIPT: the same mountainbike, I wish your Son the best, Special OPS are some of the best trained in the world. My nephew just returned from Afghanistan via the wounded way thru Landstuhl hospital in Germany. He is doing great, but took awhile to get his emotions in check. He is one tough Marine! God Bless you!

I don’t see why Ford isn’t able to identify the problem. It seems like a pretty simple problem. With the correct tools they should be able to monitor all the parameters, pressure, temperature, flow rate, etc. There isn’t much that can go wrong with power steering systems provided the fluid is the correct type and is clean and free of contamination. If the control valve you mention above doesn’t fix it, with everything you’ve replaced, it seems to me the two most likely culprits left are:

1. Some kind of contamination in the power steering fluid. Has anyone been working on your truck who’s qualifications are not up to snuff? Maybe they made a mistake and put motor oil in the place where you are supposed to use power steering fluid, etc. The solution is to drain and completely flush both the pump and the rack (not necessarily an easy to do or inexpensive task), then refill the system being sure you are using the manufacturer’s recommend power steering fluid type for this car. Obtain the power steering fluid from a Ford dealership just to be sure. Then be sure to bleed the system per the Ford shop manual. Make sure it is filled up to where it should be.

2. Or, the power steering fluid isn’t being adequately cooled for some reason. This would be especially true if it works ok when the engine is cold, but starts making noise as the car warms up. Or if it works just after the pump or rack is replaced, but after a day or two the noise returns. Usually these power steering systems have some kind of cooler gadget as part of the fluid path. Look for something that looks like a small radiator with fins on it connected in some way with the power steering pump. Consider replacing that cooler to see if it makes a difference, as it could possibly be clogged. If it was clogged, it could possibly also cause the other components to fail too when they got too hot.

Well George I thought the Ford Dealer would have fixed this ASAP also. It just sounds like a pump that is bad. I did take it to a local shop that fixes ford’s and he said “Son its the pump that’s bad” I told him it was replaced twice and he said ITS THE PUMP AGAIN! Its been at ford dealer for three weeks now. Every Tech in shop has looked at it. I would assume that Ford has been using the correct fluid, but nothing would surprise me. This is a basic 04 Ranger 3.0 5 speed, does it have a cooler?. It whines very loud constantly cold or warm doesn’t matter. Sounds like it is running dry all the time. I will post again in a few days after the part is installed at dealer. Thanks for all the help! Mark, US ARMY VETERAN

Ford and many others have been using ATF as power steering fluid for over 50 years…Synthetic fluids are not necessary and will not cure a mechanical problem…

Update: Power Steering Pump Noise Solved!! Well finally the saga is over! After replacing the Pressure Control Valve, that still did not solve the problem. They ordered a BRAND NEW PUMP, and guess what. that was the problem. According to Ford Engineer all pumps that are re manufactured NAPA FORD and others are not being re manufactured correctly. They are filling a official complaint with the reman company about their quality. This is now the 3rd pump installed, the last was was new. I was not charged by ford dealer for any other additional work completed. The quality of re manufacturing is definitely in question. Thanks for everyones input. This is a great site to share ideas! Mark, US ARMY VETERAN

“Rebuilt” auto-parts have been a growing problem for many years… Many are just salvage yard pulls, cleaned up and packaged as “rebuilt”…If the part fails, they simply replace it, much, much cheaper than actually “rebuilding” the part…

We are all glad your problem has been solved to everyone’s satisfaction…Too bad you had to go through the wringer…

I greatly appreciate you reporting back about this. Most often we never know…

Thanks fazzer. It’s always good to know how the problem was resolved. Although I didn’t get in on it I would have never guessed that the replacement pumps were repeatedly bad. I hope the dealership and Ford Motor Company appreciate your patience.

It’s great that the problem is resolved but does illustrate why it’s unwise for a dealer to use outside sourced parts. Those faulty parts reflect on the dealer and FOMOCO both.

Many of those people who work in reman facilities have little mechanic inclination and they’re simply assembly line parts stickers.
The plant is defunct now but in downtown Oklahoma City there used to be a huge auto parts reman facility that actually operated under the Ford banner. They were nationwide and shipped out everything from distributors to complete long blocks.

I personally know 2 guys who lost their jobs (warehouse workers) and went to work there. Both are great guys personally but neither one of them could or would even change their own oil. One was placed on the line rebuilding water pumps and another was sent to the carburetor rebuilding section.

There were a few other huge reman facilities that also were a bit dubious when it came to quality. This was especially true of the gargantuan engine reman facility that would run ads such as “engine rebuilders needed, no experience necessary” for couple of dollars per hour over the minimum wage. You can imagine what rolled out of there. :slight_smile: