Heater problem?

I have an '88 Rx7 with 129K miles that has been basically trouble free. Last month the car overheated because it was low on water. I had the radiator flushed and a week later it happened again. My mechanic could not find a leak. He replaced the pressure caps but said that he thought pressure from the engine was entering the cooling system because the hoses felt much harder than normal. Would appreciate any suggestions.

Bill Siegl

~ I have just edited my post down since CSA corrected me (below) about this vehicle. I was not aware it is a rotary engine - so I have even less of value to offer than normal! And thanks to CSA for helping me learn something new today.

Did this “mechanic” maybe run a compression test or do anything toward finding out whether or not you have a blown head gasket?
Rx = Rotary engine. No pistons. No cylinders. No cylinder head gaskets.

Bill, did you do a search ?
http://www.aaroncake.net/rx-7/cooling.htm
CSA

Thanks, sounds like I need a new engine. Any recommendations for a reliable supplier?
Bill

It does have combustion chambers, spark plugs, side plates, and coolant passages in the block. I don’t know what the combustion chamber pressure should be, but it should be possible to read it.
Surely there must be an RX7 or Mazda Rotary forum somewhere to ask.

"~ I have just edited my post down since CSA corrected me (below) about this vehicle. I was not aware it is a rotary engine - . . . "

Cigroller, I’ve got a little Mazda trivia in background. I worked at a Mazda dealer in the mid-eighties (before this particular car was built) for a couple of years. I had RX-7s for comany cars and really enjoyed driving them. Heck, I even took a brand new 1984 “626” on my honeymoon.

CSA

The RX7 is very sensitive to water in that combustion chamber.

Getting this one fixed is going to take someone who really knows about them. I loved mine and I never had a problem with it, but letting water into that chamber is not a good idea.

Zoom, Zoom . . . Ka Boooom ! . . . ?

CSA