Headlights on a Taurus

I have recently inheirited a 1992 Taurus. Only had 25000 miles on it when I got it. I cannot keep the headlight blubs from blowing out. The car sat in the sun for most of its life, now everytime it rains the headlamp assembly gets water in it and blows the blubs (type 9007). I can find no visible cracks or breaks. It happenes to both sides, and putting in a new blub resolves the issue until it rains again. Is this a known problem with these cars? Any ideas?

The car is 16 years old now. Some things are going to go wrong. Remove the headlamp assemblies and submerge them except for where the bulbs go in. Observe and find the leaks. You could also put pressure on them with your mouth, while partially submerged in some dilute dish detergent. Watch for bubbles.

Some of these headlamp assemblies are two-piece with a silicone gasket. They are held together with clips. You have to take the apart, clean and scuff the mating surface and seal them up again. Be careful not to get sealant on the reflector or lens.

Hummmmm, because you took the time to respond, I’ll take the time to try it. But, although this happens when it rains, I really think it is the humidity and causes condensation on the inside of the assembly, maybe a clear sealent on the outside of the lens might work, but I suspect I would really screw things up like that. I see most of these cars have at least one head light out when its wet out.

I believe it is poorly designed and I was hoping for a known design correction. But I will use the water test and check for leaks.

Thanks

I have resolved the problem. I did not remove the assembly and presure test it. There never were any cracks in the lenses. I used a 1/8 drill bit and drilled small holes in the bottom of the assembly on each lower corner, This allowed the water to drain and then I drilled one hole in the top of the assempbly (there is a flat surface just under the edge of the hood) to allow the steam created by the heat of the blub to escape.

I have delayed posting this update to confirm the fix over time and to test the action of the headlights during a rain storm and following traffic in wet conditions. Living in Texas that takes some time. I am happy to report that I have not had to replace the blub since putting the small holes in the lenses. This was all due to condensation.

Three holes per assemply. One on each lower corner (as low as possible) and one on the top just under the hood line.

interesting thanks for the update