Headlight Troubles in 1996 Jeep XJ

The problem is that my headlights on my 1996 Cherokee switch off unexpectedly. I can get them to come back on for extended periods by fiddling with the control knob in certain ways. This is the kind where you pull out of the knob to turn the lights on, and can rotate the knob to brighten or dim the dash. If I pull a bit harder on the knob, the lights come on; if I twist this way just so, then off they go; that sort of thing. The fuses are fine and the contacts in the fuse box are clean. Highbeams work great no matter what (these are controlled from the steering column). I think the problem is at the control knob.

Now, how can I keep my headlights on when I turn them on every time without having to fight the gremlins?

I think my next move is to remove the bezels and so on as best I can and get in there with some proper contact cleaner to see it’s just built up gunk causing havoc. If that fails, or if that’s a bad idea, what’s next?

thanks

Sounds like you need a new headlamp switch.

Now, how can I keep my headlights on when I turn them on every time without having to fight the gremlins?

Replace the switch, I really doubt any “cleaning” will be effective.

Yep, just replace it, under $20 from rockauto. One of the last of the ‘old style’ headlight switches, I miss the simplicity.

OK, if it’s just plug-and-play, then I can manage in the driveway.

thanks everyone.

Very easy to replace, common problem with this vintage Jeep

Replace the switch.