Headlight condensation

This topic has appeared from time to time. The Search function found a good discussion at http://act…02410.page

I brought the '94 Taurus home from the body shop (don’t ask) Friday afternoon. It sat from then through all day Saturday and Saturday nite. During the day Saturday I noticed a lot of condensation inside one of the replaced-with-used headlight lens assy’s. MAYBE moisture got in before the shop installed the bulb, but the other replaced-with-use headlight assy did not have condensation. I’ll call the body shop Monday to see if his supplier will replace the suspect one.

From the link above I decided to dry the condensation with a hair drier. When I went to work on it (Sunday) I went to remove the bulb so the water vapor could escape. The locking collar that holds the bulb socket into the assy was not locked. So maybe (I hope) it was not sealed and moisture got in, and maybe, maybe it will be OK.

Not surprisingly, evaporating the water left some cloudiness on the inside of the lens. Any suggestions on how to get rid of it?

Any other advice on how to deal with the problem?

Neglected to mention: "a lots of condensation) Thick drops on about 30% of the vertical face of the lens. I could not see if there was any on the floor of the chamber (so I do not know if drilling weep holes will help).

[i] Not surprisingly, evaporating the water left some cloudiness on the inside of the lens. Any suggestions on how to get rid of it? 

[/i]

You might try using some of those long stick Q-Tips sold in the cosmetic area.

I took a strip of cloth and used a stick to swab it around the inside of a 2000 Blazer headlight assembly to remove as much condensation as possible. Then I used a hair dryer to remove the remaining moisture. I was able to remove the assembly from the Blazer which made the process a lot easier.

Ed B.

Thanks for the advice. I had feared that I would have to remove the assy to clean it out. However, this cool, dewy, Monday morning the lens was covered with condensation again. Body shop agrees that the supplier owes a replacement. That’s good enough for me.