Have you ever heard of an inspection taking 3-4 days?

I took my car in for an inspection, and the dodge dealership said it would take 3-4 days. I at first thought it took only a day or a few hours at best, but my mind wasn’t thinking at the time and this is the first time I took it in the shop. I looked it up online for the average time and it is indeed a few hours at best or 24 hours at the most. Why did this dealership dude say it would take 3-4 days? Somethings not right. The appointment was made 3 weeks ago as well, so there is some red flags, but this is a dealership am I right? I think I’m going to take the car back, they’re finally inspecting it now but I don’t want to wait around to see how long it’ll take to repair my car.

Well , we don’t know where you are or what kind of inspection you are posting about . I for one have no idea what to tell you .

1 Like

Well they used a diagnostic computer and told me the problem could be anything. From evaporative leaks to a transmission problem etc. So I guess I’m wrong in thinking it takes a few hours. They seem to really need the car longer than usual to take it apart. Welcome to the world of the internet I get with google giving the wrong average answers, lol.

I have a check engine light on, and the dashboard says it’s the gascap. I’m guessing it’s the fuel pump and gas leaks that is making my car stall. It stalls but not that frequently. I’m over 100k miles so I think it was time to change the fuel pump.

Shop is busy? They can look at it in next 3-4 days? Or did repair write up say it could take from 2-34 hours of labor?

They are 3 to 4 days behind with their work. Expect the diagnoses to take 1 hour if they ever get to your car.

2 Likes

It had some cars in the shop, it was bigger than the smaller independent auto shops. But it didn’t look too packed inside the shop, maybe on the outside there were lots of cars out there. So I’m probably wrong. They didn’t give me an estimate on the labor. So I guess they were really backed up with lots of cars to work on. Nevermind, false alarm, I guess it can depend on how severe the problem was, it sounded like it was from the advisor that tended to me. Dang google, why must you give me the wrong info on the average time. Those are for cars that only need small repairs.

Yeah takes 3-4 days, why can’t google give more specific answers. I’m not looking at how long it takes to inspect my car. I’m looking at how backed up the auto shop is as well.

Are you trying to get an inspection?

Or is your car having problems and you need a diagnosis?

2 totally different things

4 Likes

Where have you been ? Many things are taking longer now because of supply issues due to the Covid Pandamic . Try to order a built in oven . As stated above you need a diagnostic service not an inspection . There will be a charge for that then you decide if you want them to do the repair.

3 Likes

I really hope that you don’t really believe everything on the internet do you, cause I keep seeing you mention Google… lol

A lot of shops are short handed, like a lot of places are these days… So even though the shop is a lot bigger doesn’t mean they have every bay full of diagnostic techs… Not all technicians have the same skill level so chances are they have one or two master techs that only do the diagnostic and major repairs while the other techs are changing oil, tires and doing the much simpler steering and suspension work, brakes etc etc… Now if you took your car in for a ball joint replacement (example only) then you might get it back the same day…
And like VOLVO stated, some parts are on back order and or very hard to get, back to being short handed thing a lot of places are dealing with…

BTW: I know several best of the best master technicians (in my area) that are 2 plus weeks out at most any given time…

3 Likes

If your dashboard really stated “gas cap” why didn’t you just get a new one?
I am not aware of a vehicle that says that.
BTW, I had a Dodge that the dealership kept the car for five days on recall.

My 2011 Ford Ranger has a “Gas Cap” warning lamp that comes on if the cap is not tightened all the way.

Capture

1 Like

IIRC, some GM models also had a specific warning light for the gas cap.

1 Like

Back-up work at shops, esp dealerships, pretty common in covid era. Ask the dealership if they can schedule you in, so at least you’ll know the day they have time to work on your car. Then you can take it to them on that day, and have it back the next. You may have to wait several weeks for this kind of appointment, the downside.

While waiting, if you can figure out what the diagnostic codes are, post them here. You’ll get some good ideas I expect. Post make/model/year/engine/transmission configuration.

I’m guessing you are having an evap system problem. Evap system problems that affect engine performance can be a purge and/or vent valve fault.

The OP made the appointment 3 weeks ago, when the vehicle was dropped off, the dealer was 4 days behind with work.

This has nothing to do with Covid, it is difficult to predict how many technicians will be occupied with major repairs 2 or 3 weeks in advance.

Thank you, I just have not seen one.

Fair enough, but in that event the shop would certainly know they are 4 days behind. Wouldn’t a customer-friendly shop phone the customer, providing a new date to drop their car off?