Hard to start truck

Having trouble starting my truck. It will crank like crazy, so the battery is fine, but it just won’t start. Usually, if I turn the key off and on a couple times, it will start OK. After it finally starts, it runs fine and idles without stalling.

Turning the ignition on and off a couple of times is one way to determine if the fuel pump check valve is defective. If it is, it allows the fuel in the fuel system to drain back into the gas tank as the vehicle sits. When you turn the ignition on and off a couple of times, it cycles the fuel pump enough times to reprime the fuel system, so the engine starts.

You describe a faulty check valve in the fuel pump assembly.

Tester

Thanks! Does this mean they will have to drop the tank? I had the fuel pump replaced about a year ago.

I never drop the tank on a pickup truck for a fuel pump replacement. Instead I either tilt the box up or remove it to gain access to the fuel pump.

You may have had the fuel pump replaced a year ago, but it’s not unheard of to get a faulty new part that results in a short part life. It happened with my Nissan pickup’s new fuel pump which lasted nine months.

Tester

OK. Thanks for your help.