Happy Turkey day

It has been…a very long time…since I was that far west on the PA turnpike, so perhaps you can help me to refresh my memory.
Is Breezewood the town at the far western end of the state that they used to refer to as “the borough of motels”…or something to that effect?

We used to take 30 all the time to see my mother’s family. I-70 to Breezewood then 30 to 219 and north to Johnstown. We preferred 30 because of the orchard stands and, of course, no tolls as there are on I-76. We always bought a bushel of peaches. We eventually got on the exclusive Hale peach list, and they are the best tasting peaches ever. US30 is also a nice scenic ride too. There are a lot of motels and restauants. IIRC, public television had a half hour or hour show where they documented the restauants and motels on US 30. It brought back fond memories of our family trips.

Happy belated Thanksgiving, everyone. I had a lot of time to sit around and think about what I was grateful for, 'cause the lane merges in Manhattan leading up to the George Washington Bridge were a mess.

Oh my @cdaquila , if I had the chance to go to Manhattan for Thanksgiving I’d be very thankful too. Forget the turkey, if I really wanted to be thankful I’d head over to John’s Pizza on Bleeker street … lol …

Yes Breezewood has a nickname of Town of Motels or something similar. Lots of fast food and gas stations there also.

Hmmm, re-wiring church fixtures to LEDs is an idea. We’ve just gone through window replacement and accessible doors as a special fund raiser but neither of those save money. LEDs might be a good thing in the long run.

Yeah its been quite a year for ups and downs. Not all the family could get together this year but most could. On the down side we lost one of my BIL’s dad and another one just ended up in the nursing facility and up or down knee replacements, etc. but most everyone is healthy and happy and doing well. Of course the election and now Fidel give greater meaning to thankfulness. Some think eventually Cuba will be the 51st state and free again at last.

I think Cuba as the 51st state is a good idea too.

Umm . . . I thought Puerto Rico was “slotted” to be the 51st state

1 Like

I do not think cuba is in the list of possibilities for the next state, Yes Puerto Rico, Philippines, Antarctica and the moon would be more probable, though I wish I could claim the property my grandparents lost under castro.

@bing. I think the energy savings of LED lights would be greater in the summer months when air conditioning is in use than in the winter months. The heat generated by fluorescent tubes and ballasts just adds to the heat in the building–of benefit in the winter but not in the summer. The LED 4 ft tubes draw 15 watts as opposed to the fluorescent that consume 34-40 watts. For me, the real benefit is that the LED tubes have a rated life of 25000 hours. I won’t have to be up on a ladder changing fluorescent tubes and ballast coils any more.