Handling of Van/SUVs vs a Car

Speaking of trucks, back in the early nineties, I had a 2wd/rwd Toy v6 extra cab that I put low profile tires and rims on. Even though it was officially a truck, it handled better then my wife’s fwd Accord. Now, fwd cars have improved over the years and are really good considering they are made with a fwd disadvantage. But, awd came along and changed the landscape.

So, the idea that an Suv can’t handle as well as a car is true only if you compare high center of gravity vehicles to low. If you can get an awd SUV ctr of grav low enough and you compare it to a fwd sedan it’s often better.

Infinity has made some really nice crossover SUVs for years now. For some reason, as gorgeous as they are, Infinities just don’t seem to capture much market share, but they’re great cars.

Third pic down:

;-]

That is an absolutely stupid thing to do to a vehicle.

But the Mercury convertible above it is sweet.

dagosa Your Toyota reminded me of my 1991 Jeep Cherokee. It spent at least 90% of it’s 10 year “lifespan” in 2wd/rwd. It handled surprisingly well on the highway and moderately curvy paved roads. I think this was due to a combination of wide track, short wheelbase, stiff suspension, and light weight. It had stock 8.5 inches ground clearance. These positive features became annoying when negotiating low speed 90 degree turns during city driving. I called it the “bobble head” effect. everyone’s head tended to rock to the side then snap back at completion of the turn.

Jt, the Merc above it is absolutely gorgeous. Drippingly beautiful, like a perfect candy apple just barely cooled from the dipping.

I agree @sgtrock21‌ . Some SUVs set up to haul heavy weight with stiff suspensions and given the right tires, can handle pretty decently. Even my Truck with an optional off road suspension which rides pretty stiff, handles very well…as good as many fwd cars and it has 10" plus ground clearance. Now, emergency handling might not be as good as ultimatly it will roll over before a lower sedan. Cornering though is quite good.

Been driving so long, all vehicles are fine by me. Each one is different but never found one to be undriveable.

But, that ‘‘third pic down’’ IS un-drivable. You could never turn the steering !

One way for me to distinguish a good handling car from another when they appear to be the same taking corners on a smooth road is to do this. I try to find a washboard road or road with repair work done to it so that the suspension has to work. If you corner on these types of roads, the better handler will be readily apparent to me. My stiffly sprung truck which can take a corner at the same speed as a car on a smooth road, will quickly loose it’s composure on a rough road. A buddies Miata for example, corners like a dream with It’s all independent and compliant suspension, rough road or smooth. This is one of the advantages I feel will be for the new Mustang which went from a solid rear axle to all independent. The good handling is legit and all the time.

Next, I try to take these same corners under power while accelerating or going up hill. Then, the independently sprung rwd cars like the Miata and others really start to shine. This is not a plug for any indepnedently sprung rwd car, but it does indicate some inherent advantages of the set up and which IMO is why the best all seem to be made that way. I find that “asking” a car to accelerate and corner over “rough” ( meaning not smooth, but not rediculous) roads defines them.

It probably has a hydraulic suspension and can be raised to drive it. OTOH, it is SEMA, and nothing really has to be driveable.