Half a tank?

Everything depends on what is advertised/promised with the purchase of a car.
With virtually every new car, a full tank of gas is included, as per the manufacturer.
With a used car, you get whatever the seller decides to provide for you.

Prepay is required almost anytime you are not paying at the pump with your credit card. That will even be for a small amount for a gas can.

And if you’re paying inside with card or cash you’re normally specifying a dollar amount, no?

“And if you’re paying inside with card or cash you’re normally specifying a dollar amount, no?”

Yes. The gas station I used to go to all the time had prepay only for the pumps farthest from the building after dark. It’s not all that difficult to figure out, well, my tank holds 15.9 gallons, the gauge indicates 1/4 full, so that’s about 4 gallons, so I need about 12 gallons, at $4.00/gallon (I live in California) that’s about $48.00. I’ll prepay $50.00 so I’m covered because you have to go back into the building the get the corrected ticket and the difference credited back to your card.

In high school I was friends with two classmates whose father ran a dealership. Various dealerships commonly sold cars that were in another dealer’s inventory. We often went along to pick up or deliver a car from, or for sale by, another dealer. Tanks were always reading on Empty, and the dealer gophers struggled mightily to calculate how little they could buy to get the car there without running out. It was about $.25/gal then and they weren’t shy about buying less than a quarter’s worth. It seemed to be just to avoid giving the other dealer a dime’s worth for free.

1 Like

That’s very funny. Very true what you say about dealership to dealership transfers too. When I purchased my Corolla new, it was transferred from another dealership.

Don’t even get me started on these types of people. Yes, they drive. Yes, they vote.

They are the same ones who will buy something at a rent to own place because it is only XX per week when they are really spending WAY more than it is worth in the long run. It doesn’t matter if it is the same $300 item but now $3000 at a rental place. They can afford $12 a week but not $300. That $12 a week ends up being $3000 in the end. Then the stuff is worn out by the time it is paid for but it was only $12 a week and that was a good price.

As for gas, I let it run down as far as is safe and then fill up. I don’t want to stop for half a tank all the time. I want to use as much as I can and then fill it to the top. Time is money and you are going to need the gas anyway so why mess with a partial tank? Yes, you have less weight to carry so it might save you a tad of money in the long run but what about the fumes lost during fill up? It probably all evens out. Racing might be a different story. IT might make a difference to only have 2 gallons in a 20 gallon tank for a drag race. Bring extra cans for when you leave.

I let mine run out before I fill up, but I also have two tank;s so all I have to do is hit the switch & I am back to full on the other tank witch give;s me time & a lot of mile’s before I need to stop again to fill up.

A college friend who was a car guy used to ridicule me for putting $5 in my old Dodge. He would always say, “It costs just as much to keep it full as it does to keep it half full.” It never occurred to him that you couldn’t fill the tank in the first place when you were perpetually broke like I was.