Growling noise from blower fan motor(99 Toyota Corolla)

Noise starts when its very cold out and stops when cabin is warm.It never does it in the summer time.
Any ideas?

Typical of things that contain plastic components… as almost everything these days does.
Change the blower motor.

Blower motor works at all speeds.I was wondering if the bearings can be lubed or is it a sealed motor?

No, you can’t lube the bearings

The bearings in a blower motor aren’t tapered roller bearings, which can be cleaned and relubed many times

Pretty much allyou can do is replace the blower wheel . . . and that’s only on certain vehicles

if you managed to take it apart, you could probably find the bearings and brushes somewhere, but the effort involved is more than the blower motor is worth, in my opinion

3 Likes

A replacement motor is available for about $35 at Rock Auto and these are fairly easy to replace. Drop the panel and undo 3 bolts/screws. Unplug and replace.

1 Like

I remember on some of the older Benzes, any blower motor, even aftermarket, was so outrageously expensive . . . think multiple hundreds of dollars . . . that guys would carefully take them apart and spend however long it took to find those brushes, bearings, or whatever it took to restore it to proper operation

Of course, these cars I’m thinking of were far less common than a Corolla, so there were less suppliers of these blower motors, and thus the prices were much higher.

1 Like

I bought an aftermarket blower motor for my 1999 Civic a few years ago, but returned it because it made a high pitched hum when it ran. They replaced it and the same symptom. So I returned it and got an Honda OEM from a junkyard. Problem fixed.

1 Like

The fan motor bearings are probably just a steel rotor shaft in brass (or bronze) sleeves. If that’s what’s making the noise you might be able to lube them with some light machine oil without disassembling the motor and make it stop for a while anyway. I’ve done that with those portable 20 inch box fans used in homes successfully. Three’s other sources for the sound of course. Removing the motor may make it apparent what the problem is. I found this from Practical Classics January 2018.

1 Like