Grand Am security light

I have a 1999 Pontiac Grand Am coupe. Over 195,000 miles. Not worried about someone stealing it This past month we have the SECURITY light come on and blink.It’s do that 3 times. Two times I remained in the car, with the windows down, while my wife was in a store, with her keys. I have my own, but just sat there reading, no A/C or radio on, According to the manual, it is an anti-theft “feature”. When it does the computer shuts off the fuel and the car won’t start. It turns over. We have to wait until the light goes off, then it starts. Dealership says they can’t disable this “feature”. I don’t want to put a lot of money into it, but labor itself is $128 per hour. They said it could be ignition switch or computer $$$. What can I do?

The first thing I would do is remove the ignition switch and check for corrosion on the harness where it plugs in, as well as any other possible cause for a poor connection. Sometimes corrosion or solder joint failure can play havoc in the switch itself as well, and some work with a soldering iron can fix it. If that turns up nothing, there are loads of websites and tutorials on YouTube for disabling or bypassing the system. Just Google “passlock security system” and lots of help will come up. Tons of people hate this security system and want it gone from their vehicle.