Gps

Must be a bunch of old GPSs out there still.
DAILY, in my neighborhood , you see out of state plates wandering the east/west streets looking for the interstate access.
NOT !
From RT-66 east bound their GPS is telling them to turn right.
The traffic light is the neighborhood.
100ft beyond that is the on-ramp.

GPS users ;
open your eyes and look OUTSIDE the windshield and use a little logic in the proccess.

This is where the Europeans are a little better at signage with their huge roundabout signs showing in graphic detail the layout of the road and exits. The feds should consider doing the same for some exits to make it a little less confusing. Then have you ever tried to figure out a hyway that actually goes east and west but is marked north and south like 13 in Minnesota. Yeah it eventually goes south but not for 20 miles or so.

If you want to see total confusion try to maneuver your way through New Orleans, @Bing. The West Bank is due south and when you cross the CCC bridge with a GPS looking for the LaQuinta Inn be prepared to do some back tracking. And the voice totally massacres the names of the streets. I thought everyone knew what a calliope was.

“have you ever tried to figure out a hyway that actually goes east and west but is marked north and south”

In my neck of the woods, I-287 makes a huge loop, and, for much of its length, it runs more or less East & West, even though the road is marked North & South. Giving people directions frequently results in the lost people saying, “But I don’t want to go North, I want to go West”, to which I respond, “I understand, but for the exit to which you are going, you have to take I-287 North. If you go beyond your exit, the road does turn northward, but around here it goes East & West.”

Very confusing for those not familiar with the area…

I have you discovered that the female voice can’t read signs and a map? and the Male voice, is a know-it-all?

"have you ever tried to figure out a hyway that actually goes east and west but is marked north and south"

In Manchester NH when you’re traveling across the Queen City Bridge you’re physically heading East or West…and at the same time you are heading North AND South on Rt 3 and Rt 3a at the same time.

For most of the way through the Olympia Area I-5 runs more east/west than north/south to get around the end of puget sound. The exit to get to my parents house is labeled Sleater-Kinney North although my grandmother suggested they just mark it left/right. Keep going and eventually the highway turns north.

Yes, I like seeing maps, too. That’s why I don’t consider smartphone nav systems equivalent. I don’t just want instructions on when to turn. Unless I go to Google Maps ahead of time and tell it to download some maps they won’t be on my phone, and even then they’ll be pretty low res. I like good maps.

Google maps is as clear as you can get. Let me ask, can your paper map be zoomed in? Can you get satellite image overlay? Can you look up a business address, poke on it and automatically pull up a map with either visual or audible directions? Does your paper map have street view? Will it display addresses as you drive by looking for one?

The paper map is a dinosaur and a dedicated GPS isn’t far behind…

All you youngin’s will get there too but for me the defining moment was a dark night with the reading light on trying like heck to read the little characters on the map. Even with glasses, it couldn’t be done. So I put a magnifying glass in my go bag after that and really like the zoom feature.

The biggest problem with paper map…is that on a long trip you need to bring almost a suitcase full of them to give you same convenience as a simple GPS system in my iphone. While paper maps have been useful over the years…they are becoming obsolete.

If you have a smart phone already…then I don’t see how a separate GPS is cheaper
Well @MikeInNH, that goes without saying. Please read my statement in context of the rest though. It’s infinitely cheaper to own a regular cell, Ipod and GPS then a smart phone. You can do the math.

It's infinitely cheaper to own a regular cell, Ipod and GPS then a smart phone. You can do the math.

Cheaper…yes…never said it wasn’t…Better? Matter of opinion. Why have 3 devices to carry around…when one will do. And a GPS doesn’t have to be used exclusively in a car. I’ve used the GPS feature on my Iphone many times while walking in NYC.

Smart phones are becoming the norm. In 5 years I’d be very surprised if you can even buy a non-smart phone.

Smart phones are definitely more convenient for many. But, if I leave my better performing GPS in the car and carry only my tiny iPod when I need it and carry my much smaller then smart phone, water resistant flip cell when boating, sailing etc all the time, for me, a bulky smart phone is LESS convenient. I would rather use my dedicated GPS boating, hiking etc as it functions much more seemlessly. Oh, did I say the money I save easily pays my golf membership dues for the year ? Those of us on fixed income will live with the inconvenience. I would definitely have a smart phone except for the added inconvenience of paying an extra gaxillion dollar a month for the service fee. Besides, if technology advances the way it should, there should be free WiFi access to everyone at some time…then, yes, smart phones will be worth it…maybe. In five years, everything will look different.

Yea…might be more convenient for YOU…but not necessarily for everyone. And there are cheaper data rates. You don’t need the unlimited data service and text messaging. Plus the integration of smart phone and GPS and internet make one very convenient device. I can look up a store on the safari on my Iphone…it may have an address listed…I click on the address and it automatically brings up the maps application to show me where it is. The listing may also have a phone number…All I do is click on the phone number and the phone automatically dials it for me…and that’s all without siri. Separate devices are fine…and they work well…but integrate them where the applications can interact with each other brings it to a whole new level.

I have an old clamshell phone.
My kids and wife keep bugging me to get a smart phone. And lately when I take out my phone in front of friends, some of them see it and joke about me being in the dark ages and that I need to get a smart phone.

@MikeInNh
Please look at t how I always initially address the subject. Smart phones are definitely more convenient for many. But, even the cheaper rates are much more and the limited data transfer on them begin to make smart phones no more user benifiial then dumb phones. You need WiFi ready smart phones cause you can’t afford the extra data add on costs to watch movies, down load large files, communicate with your computer and a plethora of other things my IPod touch does for free, without a monthly fee. So, the smart phone is just as smart as a decent GPS finding addresses. But, I suffer with the inconvenience cause my golf membership is paid for.
And, like @JoeMario implies, many are just bullied into getting one when one is not needed. You look at your monthly expense and some how you need to justify having one. My wife has been on the edge of getting one for nearly a year…as yet, she still takes the IPod on trips and uses our old GPS and still can’t pull the plug because of the added expense. All the things a smart phone does for you either should not be doing while driving or saves such minimal time otherwise, it’s not worth the extra expense for many.

I got a small, 2x2, Garmin with voice for my 50 scooter. I can’t wait to throw “her” into the river. :>}}

But, even the cheaper rates are much more and the limited data transfer on them begin to make smart phones no more user benifiial then dumb phones.

You keep making generalities which really are specific to YOUR want and needs. That doesn’t mean it’s good for other people. I rarely use even close to the very lowest data packages you can get.

You need WiFi ready smart phones cause you can't afford the extra data add on costs to watch movies, down load large files, communicate with your computer and a plethora of other things my IPod touch does for free, without a monthly fee

And your iPod does that for via WiFi. What’s your point?? All smart phones I know of come with WiFi. When ever I’m at home or at work…I’m automatically connected to WiFi…and all those transfers you just talked about are free…Again what’s your point.

So, the smart phone is just as smart as a decent GPS finding addresses.

Either you completely missed the point…OR you’re being obtuse on purpose because you have no argument for the fact that a smart phone can integrate multiple applications which you need separate devices to do.

First off…when you’re NOT at home or in a hot-spot with the devices you listed that you have you don’t have access to the internet. I guess you completely missed that point.

The following scenario actually happened to me and my wife 3 months ago in NYC.

While in NYC we decided to see if we could get tickets to a play. I found a play…we both agreed to see on my IPhone. Clicked on the phone box-office phone number and was able to purchase tickets for the 7 o’clock showing…Then I clicked on the address listed and it brought up a map showing where it was…I said give me directions from my current location…and it brought up a map showing me. It was only 4 blocks away…so just followed the directions off the phone.

With YOU…You’d first have to find a hot-spot…do the same search I did in google…Go to the url for the play you want to see… Then get your phone out and dial the number to get tickets…Then get out your GPS to get the directions from where you are to where it was playing. I hope you have a good size man-purse to carry all that with you.

You don’t want to pay extra for that convenience…fine…but don’t think that other people don’t want that convenience…And as of Q2 of this year…smartphones are now outselling dumb phones.

Mike, I keep making generalities with respect to my needs because I can only speak for myself… I am not Carnack and cannot tell what works for others. How much more understanding can one person be then to tell you what works for them. I guess you keep omitting my leading statements…read my lips. “Smarts are definitely more convenient for many…” you sound like you’re perhaps getting a commission cause my life style does not warrant a smart phone and you still want to sell me one with all the features. I don’t want or need them but will definitely take one when THE PRICE IS COMPARABLE TO WHAT I AM DOING NOW. I don’t frequent NYC but am always engaged in activities where the smallest most friendly, simplest communication device works best. Right now, I can fumble into my water(dry) bag, pick out my water resistent flip phone and just by feel, dail home…all while keeping my other hand on the tiller with the main sheet under forefinger, while sailing into a thunderstorm; this if I want someone to pick me up at a more convenient mooring.

As far as WiFi is concerned, when did I ever intimate I used my IPod anywhere I did not expect wii connection. I can’t think of a business I frequent where I have to wait that does not have wireless. I don’t run around expecting to be on line all the time. Bottom line, you can’t wrap your mind around or you are being obtuse and don’t understand I do not want or need to combine functions the smart phone gives a person for the plan price they charge. When they start jacking my cheap dumb phone rates up to nealy match a basic smart phone plan and they make a device as easy to operate, I MAY consider.

@longprime
I agree. A device that did not have an adequate display has always been useless to me.