Got a question for Secretary LaHood?

100 years from now, there will be no need for them…

They would last much longer if you would just quit dumping salt all over them…

I have one.

Will the Department of Transportation ever stop using the withholding of federal highway funds to force states to pass whatever laws they feds want them to in order to further sociopolitical agendas, thereby usurping the “states rights” that were granted by the U.S. constitution?

Never mind. I already know the answer.

Why submit anything. The guy is a politicial hack, will only answer questions in a general sense, and is only appearing for what is likely a PR stunt regarding some issue.

Maybe a start could be to ask him, and provide proof, of how much fraud and how many deadbeat, space-occupying government employees he has eliminated in his own agency.
The question won’t be posed or answered, and the real answer is zilch.

If DOT did that without authorization from the Administration, the people responsible for it would be fired. This includes the Secretary and any other appointed DOT officials. Political actions by any career DOT person would clearly get them fired immediately, too. The President makes policy and everyone else makes it happen. There is one notable time that the President did not make policy: Iran Contra. CIA Directory Casey said that President Reagan asked several times if there was a way to get the US detainees out of Lebanon. Casey said that while it was not direction to do so, he and a few others decided to make it happen. I’m still not convinced that President Reagan did not authorize facilitating the sale of arms to Iran to fund the Contras, but that’s how the story goes.

VDC Driver, Thanks. I Was Well Aware Of This. I Am A Conservative First. Wasteful Spending Of People’s Hard Earned Tax Dollars Is A Crime Regardless Of Party Affiliation.

I support conservatives in any political party. A majority of tax-payers are. Most of the folks who don’t are some of the 47% who don’t pay taxes in this country or the 40% who actually get a check from tax-payer dollars, even though they pay no tax.

I was pointing out that this politician’s experience makes him perfect for his position. He knows next to nothing about cars and transportation (except for a brief stint on a comittee) and knows best how to spend other people’s money, earned by the 53% who pay taxes in this country. He fits right in with the president and the other cabinet members and czars. Many of them have never had a real job, but are experts on practically everything.

I really can see November from my porch. :wink:

CSA

You are of course correct. My beef should really be with the administrations that have used the DOT in this manner. My beef is with those above Mr. LaHood. The withholding of federal highway funds for political reasons is as old as the inception of federal highway funds.

And the problem is not unique to the DOT. The IRS has just become the enforcement agency for the new health care bill.

Thanks for letting me vent.

Mr. LaHood is just one more example of defeated Congressmen who get hired by the next administration.

An excellent example of this from the previous administration was Spencer Abraham, who failed to be re-elected to his Congressional seat, and was subsequently selected by Mr. Bush to be in charge of US energy policy.

Even Mr. Abraham’s close friends admit that he is…how shall I put this kindly…not exactly a mental giant. And, if anyone thinks that our energy needs were well served during that administration, they may want to rethink that position.

Spencer Abraham’s qualifications for supposedly formulating and guiding US energy policy were probably no better than that of my Labrador Retriever. Mr. LaHood’s qualifications for his position are probably on a similar level.

tell him to never pull a C4C program again. I blew $1875 on a bottom-of-the-line '91 S-10. nice truck, but you cant get anything cheaper that isn’t riddled with rust or bullet holes.

The C4C program was an Obama farce. You might want to remember the C4C program come November, when we get to choose whether to elect those that support such programs or those that don’t.

No problem, SMB. And maybe the question could be reformatted to show your displeasure with the action, not the agency. Tom and Ray can edit that in, can’t you guys? Well, I guess that Dougie and the rest of the Lackeys are actually in charge of that stuff.

LaHood has popped up on several news program blurbs this morning preaching about the dangers of texting while driving.
Gambling money says that this issue will be the essence of this interview and not one person who does text while driving is going to quit texting because of an Anti-Text World Tour.

What are your thoughts on the electric infrastructure needed to support widespread use of electric vehicles? For example, would places of work require electric charging stations…if so, who would pay for the infrastructure -ie wires, transformers, inverters, communication networks,etc.?

Do you believe, as some proponents suggest, that electric vehicles will be used to supplement or put power back into the grid…say during the day while a vehicle is plugged into a charging station at work? If so, how would the metering of such power be accounted for automatically so that the owner recieves credit for power put back at probably real time rates?

I like your idea.

T&R?

I like the way Almorgan is thinking. We allocated $4Billion for Cash-4-Clunkers. I wonder how much of an infrastructure $4Billion would have built had we spent it there instead of on a very temporary and very artificial prop up of the suto industry.

Even metered recharging stations at highway gas stations would be a huge benefit to the EV industry. Imagine being able to stop at a restauaunt, plug the car in to recharge, have lunch and an apple pie, then pay the bill and drive off with a replenished battery pack?

Great idea! If you want to disembark in the middle of a freight yard

The government likes to mandate everything else,how about requiring manufacturers to make auto makers produce vehicles with easy to change timing belts(the timing belt hit keeps me from owning a few different makes-Kevin

What is the secretary’s position on excessive and unnecessary motor vehicle noise and what can, he as secretary of transportation do about it?

I love motorcycles; own two of them including a Harley, both with stock mufflers and am fed up with excessive exhaust noise from mainly Harley Davidsons whose noise output with straightpipes is especially irritating compared to four cylinder bikes.

I like to drive with my window open in the summertime and am often assaulted with a motorcycle with straightpipes either passing me or me being met. I can hear motorcycles with straightpipes late at night from a nearby freeway even though I live about a mile from the freeway. Often one goes by my house blanking out the audio from the TV.

There are trucks running around loose too with excessively loud exhausts.

There are also small airplanes with straightpipe exhausts that I have to listen to while they occasionally fly over my house.

Would the secretary blow this off and leave it to the EPA who is doing nothing about it or take some initiative to fix it if nobody else will?

Certainly there are other sources of noise such as large airplanes and lawnmowers but how about killing one snake at a time?

Yes WW, quiet please-Kevin

When will vehicle owners get a print out of all the T.S.B’s(Technical service bulletins) affecting their vehicles? Millions of consumer dollars are wasted because the maufactureres keep all these bulletins secret.These bulletins should be in print and/or e-mailed to all vehicle owners.

And gunpowder came from China, but they don’t get to claim credit for the GAU-8